Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2019, 10:57 AM

Re: Sentencing

[QUOTE=Devo;1806467]. The documents the sentence is based upon do not go into the public domain so how can anyone know the reasoning behind his sentencing?

I know...some people only tell half a story..or maybe that should be.."what they read ,is only half of a story....they base their "opinion" upon that..
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2019, 11:34 AM

Ufortunately, PTSD and Mental Illness are being used too often now as an excuse for a convenient get-out-of-jail card by those defending scumbags who should be behind bars.

It is a travesty against genuine PTSD sufferers as well as those genuinely having a Mental Illness. More should be done to prove defendants are already being treated for either if they appear in court. I know there would be the odd case where the defendant is diagnosed for the first time, but the amount of times these excuses are being used, more should be done to disprove such claims.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2019, 11:35 AM

The charges laid against an offender determine the sentencing options.

In this case Youssef Abi, 32, appeared before Shrewsbury Crown Court on Monday to be sentenced for common assault, dangerous driving and criminal damage

IMO it's time that the CPS were put under the spotlight. In this case I believe that the charges were far too lenient.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2019, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Devo ->
I doubt if the word fo the accused, through his lawyer, would be enough to convince the court that he had PTSD. I expect there were psychological reports as well. And here lies an example of why newspaper stories, little more than racist rabble-rousing, and the threads they inspire are so ridiculous and wrong. The documents the sentence is based upon do not go into the public domain so how can anyone know the reasoning behind his sentencing? It strikes me if what was reported is true, prison is the last thing he needs.
Rubbish..............he attempted to kill someone. Why bring race into it, no matter what race he is he is a danger to society. It strikes me if what was reported is true prison is the place he needs to be, locked up.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2019, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Ufortunately, PTSD and Mental Illness are being used too often now as an excuse for a convenient get-out-of-jail card by those defending scumbags who should be behind bars.

It is a travesty against genuine PTSD sufferers as well as those genuinely having a Mental Illness. More should be done to prove defendants are already being treated for either if they appear in court. I know there would be the odd case where the defendant is diagnosed for the first time, but the amount of times these excuses are being used, more should be done to disprove such claims.
I completely agree. It has become just another 'card' along with the race card. Someone does something wrong so they must be mental. I suppose there is some truth in that, seeing as all our actions stem from our thoughts but you have to be pretty mental to punch someone in he face without realising it.

As I said on another thread, we have become a nation of mental patients, everyone is at it.
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2019, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Rubbish..............he attempted to kill someone. Why bring race into it, no matter what race he is he is a danger to society. It strikes me if what was reported is true prison is the place he needs to be, locked up.
So you are privy to all the documents that were used to arrive at his sentence? No, I thought not!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2019, 12:29 PM

[quote=devo;1806561]so you are privy to all the documents that were used to arrive at his sentence?

...not that simple is it,Devo..
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2019, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Devo ->
So you are privy to all the documents that were used to arrive at his sentence? No, I thought not!
His name is Youssef Abi (unless they are lying about that) so he sounds a bit foreign to me, nothing racist about it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top