Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 12:35 PM

Tor browser

I just made the mistake of installing Tor Browser!

For those who don't know about it, it claims to offer a safe browsing facility which will not allow any sort of tracking or interference by unwanted agencies.

Fine. It installed itself to the desktop (for some reason) and opened correctly. Thinking that the desktop was not the ideal place for a downloaded installation, I moved it to my Downloads folder. That's when the problem started.

I could then no longer open it, using either the existing shortcut on the desktop, or directly from the Downloads folder. I decided to give up and uninstall it.

I tried to do this from Control Panel, but there was no sign of any installed programme. I tried to delete it from the Downloads folder, but received a message which I didn't understand saying that it could not be accessed without making some changes, details of which I can not exactly recall.

I then tried restarting Windows only to find a startup page saying that I have been given a temporary windows account! Not knowing what to do next for the best, I just turned off the computer completely.

Fortunately, I was then taken back to the usual start page and could log in correctly. I then found I could finally delete the Tor folder completely.

Never again! We learn from our mistakes.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 01:30 PM

Re: Tor browser

Indeed .....

I've been there many times in the past, even with approved software .....
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 01:34 PM

I have REVO uninstaller program well worth having to get rid of problem programs
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I have REVO uninstaller program well worth having to get rid of problem programs
Many thanks. Downloaded the free version.
It looks great and easy to use. Click the shortcut and up pops all the installed programmes and others.
It seems to be much easier than the usual Windows uninstaller, though of course I haven't actually used it yet.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 03:33 PM

Hi

TOR, beloved by the very agencies you seek to avoid.

It is like putting a set of flashing lights and siren on saying here I am, I am avoiding you.

https://thehackernews.com/2013/10/ns...k-tor.html?m=1

The hilarious thing about TOR is those who download it from the web using their browser.

You are automatically logged then,
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 03:59 PM

what are the advantages of using REVO as opposed to using Windows uninstaller, please Realspeed
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 05:15 PM

Clears the deleted program in registry as well, I have used it for years
pathfinder
scotland
pathfinder is male  pathfinder has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 10:00 PM

Clears the deleted program in registry as well, I have used it for years
Is yours paid for or free mate
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

23-11-2019, 11:52 PM

Paid for but still using earlier version ,no need to update for me ,happy with using version I have as it doesn't expire time wise
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

TOR, beloved by the very agencies you seek to avoid.

It is like putting a set of flashing lights and siren on saying here I am, I am avoiding you.

https://thehackernews.com/2013/10/ns...k-tor.html?m=1

The hilarious thing about TOR is those who download it from the web using their browser.

You are automatically logged then,

Perhaps you should read the last couple of paragraphs from your link.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top