Join for free
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 05:59 PM

Adobe Reader

Has Adobe become defunct?

I have it installed on my PC as several of my graphic disc use it - but suddenly it does not seem to be working. Have tried uninstalling - reinstalling - all that happens is a message saying 'Fatal Error'.

It is a pain as it means I cannot use my crafty discs.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 06:01 PM

Re: Adobe Reader

I've started using Foxit Reader free edition

https://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf-reader/
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 06:12 PM

I'll have a look at that one, Judd, thank you. Do you think it would work with files set up in Adobe though?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Has Adobe become defunct?

I have it installed on my PC as several of my graphic disc use it - but suddenly it does not seem to be working. Have tried uninstalling - reinstalling - all that happens is a message saying 'Fatal Error'.

It is a pain as it means I cannot use my crafty discs.
I believe you will find all Adobe packages are now paid for by monthly subscription. The last time I checked it was £45 a month for all Adobe packages. OK if you are running a business as that can be claimed against tax and is accounted for in profits but not for the individual, although again last time I checked it's possible to have one or two but there was a minimum subscription of about the £15. Strange that your discs will not work as that's the way Adobe software packages and all others used to be supplied. That is before they decided too many people were copying their software and using it for free!

If you want to use it for creating PDFs then on Macs that is possible without any additional software. It's a long time since I did anything like that but if on a Mac then check out the Help section or go to the Apple forum or just their help website.

I've not used any open source software as I had a business so used the genuine Adobe software. A quick search though showed there are many to choose from and they are free:

https://www.cogniview.com/blog/pdf-e...adobe-acrobat/

https://opensource.com/alternatives/adobe-acrobat
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 06:30 PM

It isn't absolutely necessary to use an additional PDF reader. It is possible to use your Internet browser to open them.

Right click on the PDF file, choose 'Open with' and look at the programs that come up. The Internet browser should be one of them. Choose it and tick the box that says to always open PDFs using the browser.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 06:53 PM

I'll have a look at that one, Judd, thank you. Do you think it would work with files set up in Adobe though?
Certainly, I've used it for many years. Adobe Reader is too bloated. All my self- created files open with it as do pdf internet web pages.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

24-11-2019, 07:13 PM

Thank you everyone for your help. That is what I like best about this place - there is always someone kind enough to help with problems!

Judd - I have installed Foxit -and it works perfectly with my crafty discs - you are a star!
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 07:30 PM

Adobe Reader is still available as a free download.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

24-11-2019, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Adobe Reader is still available as a free download.
It would not re-install on my PC, Ray, just kept giving me the 'Fatal Error' message. On Judd's recommendation I have now installed Foxit.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

24-11-2019, 10:02 PM

Thank you everyone for your help. That is what I like best about this place - there is always someone kind enough to help with problems!

Judd - I have installed Foxit -and it works perfectly with my crafty discs - you are a star!
Glad I could help.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top