Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2019, 11:16 PM

Catalytic Converters

Pardon my ignorance, but what are these things, and what do they do exactly?

According to local police reports there are loads being stolen around here, and I wondered why.

What do thieves want them for?

Do all cars have them?

Would I know easily away if mine had been stolen, and if so - how?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2019, 11:33 PM

Re: Catalytic Converters

Save you looking it up..........."A catalytic converter is an exhaust emission control device that reduces toxic gases and pollutants in exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine into less-toxic pollutants by catalyzing a redox reaction (an oxidation and a reduction reaction). Catalytic converters are usually used with internal combustion engines fueled by either gasoline or diesel—including lean-burn engines as well as kerosene heaters and stoves."

Wikipedia
They are usually located before the outer end of the exhaust pipe under the car. They are in all cars and have been for at least 30 years as far as I know.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2019, 11:52 PM

Thanks Keezoy, I need to read that a few times for it to sink in.

How would I know if mine had been nicked though?

Would I have a noisy exhaust or something?

Are they all different sizes for different makes of car, or does one size fit all?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2019, 12:54 AM

A few around here have been nicked. They contain platinum so are quite valuable. There must be some unscrupulous scrap dealers about it they're receiving these devices.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2019, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Are they all different sizes for different makes of car, or does one size fit all?

Here is what they look like. Underneath the car between the exhaust outlet from the engine and back end of the exhaust pipe that comes out the back of the car. They are a lumpy, boxy thing like in the picture. Shiny if new. Not shiny if not usually. You'll know if yours has been nicked by firstly your car sounding like a large machine gun and secondly by the fact that the exhaust pipe where it has been cut will probably be dragging on the road underneath the car. They are stolen for the by products that accumulate in them like traces of valuable minerals and other elements. I'm sure there are hundreds of different types and brands made for different sized pipes on car models.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	1129 Catalytic converter.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	11161  
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

03-12-2019, 12:10 PM

Good grief. I didn' realise they were right under the car like that, I thought it was something on the end of the exhaust pipe that could easily been seen.
Thanks Keezoy.

Hard to imagine thieves being able to get right underneath a car parked in the street, or even someone's driveway, and sawing the thing off without anybody seeing or hearing anything isn't it.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2019, 01:57 PM

Story about catalytic converter theft here

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...r-minutes.html
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

03-12-2019, 06:21 PM

Good grief Ray! It says the metal is more valuable than gold or silver!
An expert thief can pinch one from a car in under three minutes.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2019, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Very noisy.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2019, 11:21 PM

Yes you would notice it on startup and there’d be an orange light on the dash as the sensors wouldn’t detect anything

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top