Join for free
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 02:09 PM

Upgrade Your Smart TV?

I was flipping through my menus, on a couple of Smart TVs here, when I noticed that they had "Upgrades" available.

Not "updates", which a PC user would expect to be there if some fixes were required, but "Upgrades" which in the PC world would mean new features were being added.

It took, maybe 20 minutes to add these upgrades, but I can't find what they were for.

Will have to search the web.

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 04:31 PM

Re: Upgrade Your Smart TV?

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I was flipping through my menus, on a couple of Smart TVs here, when I noticed that they had "Upgrades" available.

Not "updates", which a PC user would expect to be there if some fixes were required, but "Upgrades" which in the PC world would mean new features were being added.

It took, maybe 20 minutes to add these upgrades, but I can't find what they were for.

Does anyone know what upgrades are for? They're just upgrades.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->

Maybe extra Apps have been added? Things like Now TV, Netflix and so on?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2019, 07:06 PM

I also thought that these were just regular updates to apps. Same as on a phone. Perhaps it's just that they have found some bugs that need ironing out or security fixes. (re the latter - if there is such a thing on a smart telly - would love to know).
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2019, 12:12 PM

Further to my posting.

The "Upgrades" to my Yoshiba and my Sony, Smart TVs, come as a download, which is backed up by no information in respect of what they are for - so why, I wonder, should I install them?

I found nothing on the Sony or Toshiba web sites.

As Judd has said, these are likely to be just changes or additions to the apps, and there are plenty of those on there!

(Most of which I have no use for).

Anyway I have now installed the upgrades and there we go.

Hopefully, there are no malware apps, in there, which could watch me watching them.

Maybe, in a couple of years, or less, we'll be running anti virus programs on our Tellies........

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2019, 05:57 PM

Ted I have been thinking about anti virus and a firewall would be good on these tellies. After all you end up putting in so many personal details if you start linking to google accounts and such. I have a firewall and anti virus on the phone too.

But I am more creeped out by how it seems devices listen to conversations. I'm sure the tellies are programmed to do this and that even if you turn the features off they don't shut their ears.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

07-12-2019, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Ted I have been thinking about anti virus and a firewall would be good on these tellies. After all you end up putting in so many personal details if you start linking to google accounts and such. I have a firewall and anti virus on the phone too.

But I am more creeped out by how it seems devices listen to conversations. I'm sure the tellies are programmed to do this and that even if you turn the features off they don't shut their ears.
I know that Amazon Echo devices record whatever is going on day by day. They even have a command whereby you can tell it to erase all it's heard during previous days.

It shows where they could be going with that.

As for the TV, I suspect that listening in is just a myth.

The reasoning behind my thought is that would have to be a microphone, in there, to do that.

I think that the only microphone, at the moment, is the one built into the handset - which lets you call out commands to select. That's only on when you are pressing the hand button.

Maybe someone will prove my theory wrong.

Anyway, the way it's all going might bring snooping closer than we want.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top