Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2019, 04:26 PM

Re: Should Elderly People Drive Automatic Cars?

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Meg, Then you are well used to automatic driving! l loved driving an automatic as driving was effortless.
Yet as l said above, l suppose someone changing to driving an automatic after years of driving a manual, might sometimes have a ‘brain fade’?
all they've got to know is where the brake pedal is .... in the same place as in a manual car.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2019, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
As you know I am of an advanced age and still drive. My car is not automatic but I do think that there should be an age limit as to when you can drive an automatic car as when we get older our reactions are much slower and no matter what others say we tend to get a bit panicky when things go wrong.
By the way, are there still such things as pre-selector gear boxes on cars?
I am fairly sure the Wilson pre-selector gear line up ceased being available some years ago. I think the early Double Six's were some of the last for passenger cars with electromagnetic clutch/pre-selector gearing, but by the time my '89 version came out it was purely automatic gearing. Something in the back of my mind is telling me the last of the preselect gears appeared in buses and were phased out in favour of fully automatic. I might be wrong, but I think the last type of bus to rely on a pre-selector box was the AEC Regent III 1939-1977, of which I had been a passenger more times than I can remember.

d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2019, 05:33 PM

I have fond memories of the old Routemaster, jump on & off wherever you dare, but the great thing about them was ... no jerky ride like today's buses. I guess the brakes weren't very good or had a tendency to lock & skid, the driver would use the gears to slow the bus.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2019, 05:39 PM

Memories!! Back in the 1950s, I drove buses for the Wilts & Dorset Bus Company. We had a couple of Daimler pre-selector geared buses and every driver hated them. The clutch had a habit of snapping back viciously if the gears were not fully engaged.
Most of our buses were Bristols.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2019, 05:55 PM

Art,

I suspect that it would make life a little safer if older drivers, who get a little more nervous, and maybe short sighted, day by day, were offered something like free Uber Taxi vouchers if they took themselves off the road.

That way, they could still do their own shopping, go to the golf club or Gym, keep a social life.

The free bus pass doesn't quite cut it.

I think that they would welcome that.

!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2019, 06:15 PM

Personally I dislike automatic gearboxes, I reckon it's too much like sitting at home in the armchair watching television. I much prefer to 'drive' a car using the gears in various ways to achieve the correct speeds and also using the gearbox to slow the car too. A lot of that comes from my motorcycle days, when gearboxes had to be used, as brakes were not that effective.

The odd times I have driven an automatic, usually a courtesy car when my own is being serviced, I find that having always driven manual cars the tendency is to hit the brake pedal in an automatic car as if it was the clutch pedal in a manual car. That doesn't happen very often but when it does it gives the following driver a shock, especially if as usual they are travelling too closely! Mostly though I manage to avoid that by tucking the left foot behind the other one so that it cannot be used.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2019, 06:46 PM

I love my automatic car ,have driven them for the last 25 years .
Would *Never* drive anything else TBH
All that fiddling about with changing gear , ---no thanks !
Perhaps that older drivers have trouble ,means they are not fit to be on the road anyway ,just saying !

Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2019, 07:02 PM

The problem comes from pedal confusion, ie, the driver presses the accelerator instead of the brake , HJ, advocates using the left foot to brake the car AT LOW SPEEDS ONLY, when parking or reversing, using the right foot for normal driving,
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2019, 07:12 PM

I've been driving automatics for about 20 years now and have never used left foot braking.

The last time I saw a preselector gearbox was on a bus in the 70s. I suppose a modern DSG gearbox is the modern equivalent.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2019, 07:28 PM

I passed my driving test in a gear change car but since my husband is disabled after losing his arm in an accident at work we only have automatic cars now. I love my automatic, its a doddle to drive, I like not having to use the gearstick.

I'm like Ray, I've never used left foot braking.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top