Join for free
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 08:17 PM

Re: Greta Thunberg - Time Person of the Year

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I believe that she deserves a Nobel prize for the contribution she is making to getting the message across to those in denial.
An Oscar might be more appropriate.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 09:11 PM

TIME's Person Of The Year ... "Marketing Gimmick"

Yeah, why not, she's served us well. It must be hard to think of Person Of The Year candidates ... hmmm ... I can't think of anyone better. So well done Greta. And relax guys. It only a gimmick.

I just don't get all this hatred.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 09:25 PM

Thunberg's hippies from the west country ... the best thing that's happened to us here in the big city all year.

April 2019

October 2019
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
TIME's Person Of The Year ... "Marketing Gimmick"

Yeah, why not, she's served us well. It must be hard to think of Person Of The Year candidates ... hmmm ... I can't think of anyone better. So well done Greta. And relax guys. It only a gimmick.

I just don't get all this hatred.
Hatred?? Nah.
Ignorance or her part? Probably.

As far as I can tell from her "coached" rantings she acknowledges none of the efforts that have gone into energy efficient systems. In my field alone, power electronics, we spent 50+ years designing more energy efficient systems. Projects were won on improving efficiency.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
My question was meant to be rhetorical and sarcastic. Ms. Thunberg is flogging the idea climate change yet doesn't see the irony of having her views published in papers and magazines.
It could be argued Juddy that growing plantations of trees for
paper making actually increases the number of trees growing on
this planet?
Donkeyman!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bread;1828825[B
]More stupid nonsense from the bandwagon of climate change.[/B]

Here, Greta Thunberg gets nominated person of the year, over and above those in Hong Kong fighting for their freedom. Thanks Greta for bringing "the weather" to our attention.

She shouldn't be there !

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitic...rg-person-year
Totally stupid nonsense?. Are droughts here caused because people use too much water? Are all the bushfires - the one who's southern front is now burning a few kilometres from my back fence is as big in area as metropolitan sydney - caused by teenagers playing with matches in places that are only accessible by aircraft that can't land there, only drop water. Do they burn for months instead of days now just by coincidence and not because rain used to put them out. There isn't any rain now. Never mind El Nino . It just gets hotter and drier every year full stop. There is no max temp down slope. Dams used to go up and down. NOw they are just empty.

Forget about bloody Greta Tundberg. She irritates the crap out of me too me too. But just look around. Listen to millions of people on this "bandwagon" that know a fair bit about what they are talking about. The climate in the whole world IS changing. It really is..fast. Yes the people in Hong Kong are putting themselves on the line a lot more than Tundberg with her endless pious lecturing. So are the thousands of men and women who are fighting fires on the ground and in the air to save our property and our lives. And believe me mate this really is war. You can call this a pious lecture. Call it Arthur if you like. I can smell and see my climate truth right out of my bedroom window. And it aint good.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 11:08 PM

I agree with you Keezoy, climate change IS happening, and there is
not much we can do that will alter things any time soon?You guys
in ozz have a particular problem lately with runaway bushfires so
maybe you should pressure your local municipalities of vulnerable
communities to clear wide tracts of land in strategic places of all
vegetation as community fire breaks, and then maintain them?
Obviously these fire breaks would need to be substantial, not just
30 or40 metres wide but probably 1km wide? You have no problem
with land availability in ozz so that should not be an issue?
Maybe you allready have a system of fire breaks in existence but in
my experience so far these are not sufficiently wide to be effective?
Regards Donkeyman!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 11:30 PM

I see all your points Donkeyman and I thank you for them. Sorry if I have got off the "Greta" topic but those things are always a trade off. Between how big you can make a break and preserving natural flora and fauna habitat. That is more of an issue than ever now with some native animal species that are totally dependent on eucalypt forest facing extinction. Also the sheer size of the potential fire areas. Imagine trying to clear a 1 km wide fire break from Marseilles to Amsterdam.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Totally stupid nonsense?. Are droughts here caused because people use too much water? Are all the bushfires - the one who's southern front is now burning a few kilometres from my back fence is as big in area as metropolitan sydney - caused by teenagers playing with matches in places that are only accessible by aircraft that can't land there, only drop water. Do they burn for months instead of days now just by coincidence and not because rain used to put them out. There isn't any rain now. Never mind El Nino . It just gets hotter and drier every year full stop. There is no max temp down slope. Dams used to go up and down. NOw they are just empty.

Forget about bloody Greta Tundberg. She irritates the crap out of me too me too. But just look around. Listen to millions of people on this "bandwagon" that know a fair bit about what they are talking about. The climate in the whole world IS changing. It really is..fast. Yes the people in Hong Kong are putting themselves on the line a lot more than Tundberg with her endless pious lecturing. So are the thousands of men and women who are fighting fires on the ground and in the air to save our property and our lives. And believe me mate this really is war. You can call this a pious lecture. Call it Arthur if you like. I can smell and see my climate truth right out of my bedroom window. And it aint good.
Good post Keezoy, however, it just is not possible to turn down world temperature like turning down a room thermostat. Ask yourself where all the money comes from to finance all the research that eventually puts the blame on the average John. It mostly comes from governments who want to justify carbon taxes, and so called sustainable energy companies who build wind turbines and solar panels.

If you want to apportion blame, look at the big multinational mining companies who are digging up most of Australia (coal, Iron Ore etc) even as we speak. now thats where Greta should be demonstrating....Big business. Take away supply, and demand will diminish. If it's available people will buy it, nobody will do without on the say so of a schoolgirl, it just makes folks angry.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I see all your points Donkeyman and I thank you for them. Sorry if I have got off the "Greta" topic but those things are always a trade off. Between how big you can make a break and preserving natural flora and fauna habitat. That is more of an issue than ever now with some native animal species that are totally dependent on eucalypt forest facing extinction. Also the sheer size of the potential fire areas. Imagine trying to clear a 1 km wide fire break from Marseilles to Amsterdam.
It's tragic Keezoy and my heart goes out to all those affected by the fires, but can we learn to adapt to these climate changes? I have the feeling it's only going to get worse.

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top