Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2019, 07:51 PM

Re: More computer trouble

Ben

I would advise using the Hibernate option rather than Sleep option when closing down.

Also there is no reason why Windows 7 shouldn't keep serving you well for many many years to come. Stick with it imho. ALL my laptops and netbooks are Win 7 and I refuse to go to Win 10 which is a completely different platform.

With Win 7 YOU the user are in control. YOU have options to turn on and off just about everything and thereby control it.

With Win 10 things are different.

I recommend indeed urge you to disable Windows Updates completely if you haven't already done so.

In fact I am amazed that you still have Win 7 if you've had Windows Updates switched on because a few years ago they sent an update down the line to everyone which effectively FORCED their machines to update to Win 10. It was a bugger to stop it doing that and only techie people like myself knew how to stop it.

Turn those updates off asap.

Note that I have had my laptops for years and had Windows Updates disabled from the very outset.

I have never suffered any security issues, no viruses nothing. It's all the usual crapola predicated on a campaign of fear. Basically trying to frighten people to take the updates for fear their PCs will become unsafe if they don't.

Nonsense

Windows Updates are THE ONLY WAY Microsoft can mess with your PC and make you upgrade to W10. Don't go there.
Get them disabled completely and stay with Win 7 indefinitely.

Your messages concerning the PC "unable to start" etc will be absolutely nothing to do with the operating Win 7 but most likely a problem with hardware. Maybe a dodgy hard disk or full hard disk etc.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 01:50 PM

I don't have a Hibernate option ....hmmm.
My PC is just over 5 years old running Windows7
So if I follow your advice now and disable updates now because I definitely don't want to go there
(Windows10),
will I still be pestered with the upgrade prompts ?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
I don't have a Hibernate option ....hmmm.

The option to Hibernate is not enabled by default.

Follow the instructions here:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/ena...ibernate-mode/

or any other site that shows you how to enable it.

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
My PC is just over 5 years old running Windows7
So if I follow your advice now and disable updates now because I definitely don't want to go there
(Windows10),will I still be pestered with the upgrade prompts ?

If you fully disable Windows Updates then that's it, the end of it. You'll never get another update. But you have to select the right option. It is warn you that it thinks what you are doing is dangerous etc blah blah blah.

Don't select the option to download options and choose whether to install them. Be sure to select the option to completely disable them.

Your only potential problem then is what updates you HAVE already taken as one or more of those might have already done something to your PC that could affect things in the future. I don't know however what those might be

I just know that when Win 10 came out there was one specific windows update that forced people into the upgrade process which caused all manner of problems for 1000s of people. The solution back then was to identify that specific update in the list of updates you've taken, then delete it, disable windows updates so it can't come down the line again and then undo a few things that the specific update had already done on the PC.

There is an update called KB4493132 which keeps popping up warning messages that Win 7 is going out of support. You might want to delete that if you have it.

To check if you already have the windows update that forces your PC to Win 10 you can check out this site:

https://www.howtogeek.com/228551/how...automatically/

It recommends downloading a little utility called "Never10" which sorts it out for you.

I've never used this myself though.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 07:34 PM

Ok so I stopped the windows updates which were set to automatic .
Now a message has come up in the bottom icons solve PC issues saying
1 important message
Change Windows Update Settings

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top