Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
ventura
New Member!
Midlands
ventura is female 

06-07-2014, 07:59 AM

Re: Travelling as a single

Well you are a busy lot, certainly true that travel broaden the mind. Think a bucket list of places to go and do is a good thing as it makes you focus on what is important to you. I have always wanted to travel on the Rocky Mountaineer.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2014, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by ventura ->
Well you are a busy lot, certainly true that travel broaden the mind. Think a bucket list of places to go and do is a good thing as it makes you focus on what is important to you. I have always wanted to travel on the Rocky Mountaineer.
Yes to your last sentence!!
venus
Cheshire UK
venus is female  venus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2014, 09:41 AM

Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2014, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by ventura ->
As someone that likes to travel but due to circumstances have to go alone, was wondering if anyone has any useful tips ie. where to go, which companies etc. looked at Saga cruises but as a single they are just so expensive. I like the nice weather so abroad is the only option. Thankyou

Pat darlin' - Ascos Beach Hotel Coral Beach Paphos Cyprus. Thomas Cook use this hotel - have been there twice - but you'll probably need to wait until it starts to cool down a bit - mid - late September would I think be perfect.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2014, 10:30 PM

If you're concerned about travelling alone, book with a dedicated singles company, I have experience with Travel One or Friendship travel. Both are good and not cheap as they have to absorb the single supplement in their prices. But you go as an independent traveller to the hotel, then meet all the other single guests. Generally you all share a table at meal times and can if you wish, go on excursions which others are also booked on. Depending on the type of holiday, there will be others who want to do the same as you, so usually someone around to rub sunbloc on your back. Be aware though that the ratio women to men is approx 6 : 1. Great holidays generally, but not somewhere to meet the love of your life!
Enjoy
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2014, 03:10 AM

I admire women especially who travel alone

I am somewhat of a loner but I don't know if I could travel by myself even if I had the money to spend. I feel so embarrassed eating alone, like everyone would be watching me. Silly, I realize, but that's how I am. You'll find somewhere to go ventura & hope you have great fun

Gee Zsa Zsa, I didn't realize Hungary was safe for women alone, how refreshing is that?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2014, 10:07 AM

Interesting, AC. Eating alone is what bothers a lot of people. I'm used to it but then I've travelled alone for most of my adult life. Sometimes people see me on my own and ask me to join them, which is very kind, but I then feel guilty about intruding on their holiday so I keep fingers crossed that they don't ask!
Jenheiffer
New Member!
N.Ireland
Jenheiffer is female 

08-07-2014, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
If you're concerned about travelling alone, book with a dedicated singles company, I have experience with Travel One or Friendship travel.Be aware though that the ratio women to men is approx 6 : 1. Great holidays generally, but not somewhere to meet the love of your life! Enjoy
That's so true.

I went on a weekend break with one of these companies and it was quite embarrassing the way half a dozen women would compete for the attention of each half-decent man! Low-cut dresses, tight trousers, raucous laughs at unfunny jokes, even surreptitiously edging their perceived rivals out of the way.

Great if you're a man though.
Jenheiffer
New Member!
N.Ireland
Jenheiffer is female 

08-07-2014, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Interesting, AC. Eating alone is what bothers a lot of people. I'm used to it but then I've travelled alone for most of my adult life. Sometimes people see me on my own and ask me to join them, which is very kind, but I then feel guilty about intruding on their holiday so I keep fingers crossed that they don't ask!
Eating alone shouldn't be so embarrassing nowadays - just make sure you have your iPhone/iPod/tablet with you and 'play' with it between courses.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2014, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jenheiffer ->
Eating alone shouldn't be so embarrassing nowadays - just make sure you have your iPhone/iPod/tablet with you and 'play' with it between courses.

But what if you don't have any of those devices?

(Actually, I usually just take a good book.)

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top