Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2015, 01:14 PM

Re: Online Shopping Anyone?

I really enjoy shopping online and I usually always pay using Paypal its so easy ..
I shall be doing some of my xmas shopping online too but I do like to have a little wander around the stores too just for the xmas atmosphere and to see all the lovely decorations and sparkle.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2015, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Paypal seems safest way you don't have to give your details to each shop.
Paypal is soooooo easy that I use it when ever I can, although the first few times I felt pretty scared about paying for anything online.

I really prefer to have a look at stuff before I buy, so will often take the bus to a shopping centre, have a good prod of whatever item I want and then see if I can find a better deal online.

Free delivery, from Amazon or EBay is great.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2015, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by jaywalker ->
I also order Nespresso coffee pods online because again they aren't available here in the shops.
Have you considered making your own pods?

The gimmick with coffee pod machines is they tie you to the pods and the coffee in them (whilst palatable to some) is not usually of good quality. Good coffee not only has a "best before" date but also shows you the date it was actually roasted. Pods don't give you that for obvious reasons.

The convenience of pod machines is unquestionable, quick, easy, no mess but the price you pay for that convenience is poor quality coffee at a high price.

You can order online empty pods and the lids to go with them. You can also buy Perspex holders in which you can put say 20+ pods and then fill them easily with coffee.

If you are prepared to put that effort in to fill your own pods (which really isn't difficult) then you get:

1) The benefit of using the best coffee which you personally get to choose . . . or indeed hot chocolate!

2) The benefit of much cheaper coffee because buying it by the bag is massively cheaper than buying pods

3) The same convenience of using pods

Mustang Sam
Canada
Mustang Sam is female 

08-10-2015, 09:57 PM

Yes I agree Paypal is a great thing! Now I haven't been able to access grocery shopping per say online but I imagine in some instances where that could be a wonderful advantage.
Mustang Sam
Canada
Mustang Sam is female 

08-10-2015, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Have you considered making your own pods?

The gimmick with coffee pod machines is they tie you to the pods and the coffee in them (whilst palatable to some) is not usually of good quality. Good coffee not only has a "best before" date but also shows you the date it was actually roasted. Pods don't give you that for obvious reasons.

The convenience of pod machines is unquestionable, quick, easy, no mess but the price you pay for that convenience is poor quality coffee at a high price.

You can order online empty pods and the lids to go with them. You can also buy Perspex holders in which you can put say 20+ pods and then fill them easily with coffee.

If you are prepared to put that effort in to fill your own pods (which really isn't difficult) then you get:

1) The benefit of using the best coffee which you personally get to choose . . . or indeed hot chocolate!

2) The benefit of much cheaper coffee because buying it by the bag is massively cheaper than buying pods

3) The same convenience of using pods

Yes I have used both and agree the coffee is not as good, however for convenience sake there are times I enjoy having the pods.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2015, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Have you considered making your own pods?)
I've considered it but decided I was too lazy.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2015, 09:12 AM

I try to shop locally if I can find what I want at a fairly comparable price to the online price. I always feel I can't grumble about closed down shops in the towns unless I at least try to buy locally first.
Mustang Sam
Canada
Mustang Sam is female 

09-10-2015, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I try to shop locally if I can find what I want at a fairly comparable price to the online price. I always feel I can't grumble about closed down shops in the towns unless I at least try to buy locally first.
Yes Mart this is true, but it is tough when you can pay less elsewhere.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2015, 08:19 AM

Yep like Alan been doing it for years and I was always wary about grocery shopping until I tried it once and found it to be ok. Still pop down the market though for the fruit and veg. Also like Jaywalker I buy a lot of my music from Amazon and always the second hand cd's they are excellent quality and you can save a few quid.
It is coming upto that time of year when I will be using it everyday for the chrissy presents.
shelana80+
New Member!
United Kingdom
shelana80+ is female 

19-02-2017, 06:56 PM

Since returning to my former home after the death of my husband I needed to update many household items.Nearly all were bought from Amazon or other big organisations on line.it is lovely to have many delivered next day and free of postage.Most of the couriers are friendly and efficient.it is quite easy to return items that are not quite suitable.I have not encountered difficulties in this way of shopping but I still like to browse in real shops now and again!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top