Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
DanU
New Member!
DK
DanU is male 

24-03-2018, 11:41 AM

Your single most important question about losing weight

A few years ago my mother died and I went through three years of progressive weight gain, high blood pressure, digestive problems, blurry vision, low energy and depression.

One morning I got out of bed and heard what I thought was someone knocking on my door. But it was the pulse in my ears I could hear. That scared me so much that I decided to change everything in my life; from diet, to people I associated with and so on.

I recently lost a lot of the weight, and I'm still trying to lose the last 20-30 lbs. During that time I had so many questions I couldn't find good answers to. There are so many conflicting oppinions about everything from diets to types of exercise.

If you've tried to lose weight and get fit in the past I would like to hear what you find/found the most difficult in losing the weight and keeping it off.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 11:56 AM

Re: Your single most important question about losing weight

I swim 40-50 lengths every day and that does me a lot of good and helps keep my weight under control. I also used to teach Line Dancing, 8 classes a week for ten years and was at the big dances with the live bands most weekends. I had to practice and put lessons together every day as well as learn the weeks new dance. The weight just fell of then. Maybe you could go to a Dance exercise class like Line Dance or one of the others. They are fun and you can have a good time with some new friends..
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2018, 03:36 AM

The most difficult thing, of course, is sticking to your own convictions. It's easy to say "I'm going to do this and do that", but staying with it long term is the hard part.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2018, 08:33 AM

One very easy way to loose weight, that is to get a divorce
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2018, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
One very easy way to loose weight, that is to get a divorce
Very true.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2018, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by DanU ->
If you've tried to lose weight and get fit in the past I would like to hear what you find/found the most difficult in losing the weight and keeping it off.
Welcome to the forum Dan

These are my views on weight loss. General views targeted at overweight people in general, nothing directed here to you personally.

Warning - long post!

First and foremost, any person who is monitoring and obsessing about their weight doesn't have their head in the right place. Excess weight, obesity etc are SYMPTOMS of being unwell. Weight is not an affliction and weight should not be at the forefront of people's minds. People who obsess about it, who stand on scales every morning whittling about lbs gained/lost here and there are misguided or duped.
They are the products of an insipid world which lives to extract profits from vulnerable and/or gullible people and which has long since brainwashed people into focussing their attentions on diets, on their weight and on their image instead of on their health. It's a sad situation.

The body is a miraculous machine which self-regulates itself in all aspects. For example your body temperature is regulated to within a couple of degrees, without this you die of hyperthermia or hypothermia. We have no idea or conscious involvement in how the body achieves this temperature balance, it just does it.

In a similar vein, the body takes what we eat and drink and processes it and takes out that which it needs immediately, keeps what it doesn't need immediately in storage, and discards what it doesn't need. Once again this is all machinery which simply maintains a perfect balance.

Crucially that balance can and does adjust according to the changing needs of the person. If you're walking to the South Pole in extreme cold and harsh conditions your body will balance its functions for that lifestyle. If you're a soap watching couch potato your body will equally balance itself for that lifestyle.

The underlying point though is that your body can and should automatically keep everything balanced which includes the amounts of fat stored in your body.

Obesity is only a SYMPTOM, not the actual problem. When you are overweight, it is because the mechanics of the body have been obstructed or hurt in such a way that it can no longer effectively balance itself. What should be a self-regulating body is now a struggling machine fighting to get back on top of things but which is forever being obstructed in that purpose.

This for me is a crucial mind set to get into. Losing weight is not about frantically exercising, going to the gym, cutting out carbs and following stupid diets.

Losing weight is about understanding what your body is and then restoring the machinery so that it can rebalance itself and thereby see you lose the weight naturally, and permanently with little to no effort on your part. That takes time but then it took time to put the weight on in the first place so that should come as no surprise.

A word on diets

Diets do not work.

Diets are a complete lie and fabrication of "for profit" industries who are exploiting people's vulnerabilities.

Diets can never work because they only represent a TEMPORARY change in eating habits and possibly also exercising habits. As soon as the diet is over, the original eating and exercising habits start back up and the weight goes back on usually with more besides.

Crucially diets put a person in the wrong mindset. Dieters are focussed on some kind of new eating regime, often guided by slimming clubs and are focussed on their weight not on their health. As such they are engaged in a temporary set of changes geared towards entirely the wrong approach and which is destined to fail. Every dieter knows this truth deep down, every diet they ever tried, and most have tried a great many, has ultimately ended in failure with all the weight put back on later, if not more besides. The same is true of the various slimming clubs. The published stats on success rates of those clubs is terrible, really damning yet vulnerable people still flock to them and hand over their cash to what is a failed business model in health terms but a very good model in profit terms.

Do not engage in diets. Accept that they don't work and that you need to treat the real cause not the symptom.

We are ill, we are unhealthy and the reason is generally that we have eaten bad things which have obstructed our own bodies so that they can no longer naturally rebalance everything.

What this means is that instead of focussing on our weight, instead of obsessing over the weighing scales each morning, we should start to educate ourselves about what is in the foods and drinks we are ingesting. We need to understand at a detailed level what is good food and what is bad food.

This is not a discussion about vegetables vs cream cakes, it's about understanding the ingredients in the products you use and caring enough to thoroughly read the labels and be very selective about what you buy.

I can not in this single post/thread cover all the things we should be looking at/for. We have to do our own research into food and drink on the understanding that we are engaged in a war against our health, a war being waged upon us whether we like it or accept it or not. It is killing millions of people and seeing millions live in ill health and dependent on pills, potions and treatments which feed Big Pharma profits. It's not easy to do the research, it takes time, you have to sift through conflicting views and material, but it is the only way. People are either bothered and motivated enough to work through it, or they are not. Those that are not, will forever mess about with diets, forever live in ill health and gradually have low self-esteem.

What I can say is that the primary concern of anyone wishing to fix their body so it can rebalance itself, is to understand the quantity of sugars they are consuming in all the various products they eat and how little fibre there is in them.

Sugar more than anything will mess with the brain, fool you into thinking you like the product and will mess with your body's digestive systems. Piling sugars into your body results in the body storing them away as fat because it has no immediate need for the energy they produce.

I'm not talking about the obvious things here either like sweets, cakes, biscuits and so on. We know those are full of sugar and in doing so we can choose to moderate them.

There are a multitude of other products which some misguided people think of as healthy but which in fact are laden with sugars, natural sugars or otherwise it doesn't matter, but which also have no fibre.

Some examples:

Note: 4g sugar = 1 teaspoonful

Yoghurts

Supposedly a healthy option, but actually full of sugars with absolutely no fibre. See below:

I feel for all those people piling in those little yoghurt pots each day thinking its good for their health. They are just eating sugars with no fibre. Not good at all imo!

Now take a look at some other products which some might have thought were good, natural, harmless . . .

Fruit juices are a killer imo. It's all the sugars of fruits and none of the vital fibre. A quick way to overload the body and get yourself fat.

We are barely scratching the surface here but what is important is to read the labels and look at the NUTRITIONAL INFO to find the amount of sugars and the amount of fibre.

Shun anything with high sugar and no fibre. This will result in just about every mainstream packet of breakfast cereal on the supermarket shelves being deemed a bad product, which they are. They are nearly ALL of them piled with sugar even those Bran ones. Avoid like the plague.

Make it a personal aim that 80% of everything you eat comes straight out of the ground, a product of nature, and/or meat from animals (if you're not a veggie).

So actual vegetables (not tinned)
Actual fruits (not tinned or juices)
Actual meats (not processed)

Plus a variety of grains and pulses

Fresh rolled oats for breakfast porridge
Good flours to make bread with (White, Rye, Wheat, Spelt)

Avoid supermarket/store bread, it is full of chemicals. You should make bread with just flour, water, yeast and salt, nothing more, and learn to make it yourself. It IS very easy to do and you owe it to yourself to stop poisoning your body with crap supermarket bread.

Eat plenty of garlic, ginger, chillies, paprika, turmeric and good herbs. Add these to all your dishes where you can.

And so on.

You get the basic idea. Eat what nature provides, don't be lazy, cook your own dishes, make your own bread, get sugar (poison) out of your life and ultimately restore your health. Once you do that the weight will drop off naturally with no effort.
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2018, 04:07 PM

I just put one foot in front of the other.....in otherwards I do a brisk walk daily.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2018, 06:50 PM

A healthy balance of a good diet and basic exercise. That's about it.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2018, 12:19 PM

The best way to lose some weight is to:

Balance your diet, eat lean meat, loads of vegs. fruit. No added sugar, take less Carbs, cut Salt down and do light exercises.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2018, 12:37 PM

I avoid man made food as much as possible and eat as balanced a diet as I can seeing as I don't eat fruit and whilst I do eat veg, I don't get five a day

Im perfectly happy to eat tinned fruit though - in juice not syrup and I do like the odd bit of dried fruit - dates, figs, apricots. But they are rare times other then whats in my muesli which I eat mixed with full fat yoghurt

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top