Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 05:58 PM

Re: No dates on Tesco veg

Originally Posted by Barry ->
How did we ever survive before sell by dates? Oh, we used our common sense that's how....
That's true but I still don't know how long my parsnips will last.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
We also called into Lidl to see what they had to offer, again no dates but bags of sprouts that won't make tomorrow morning let alone Christmas day.
I always buy a sprout tree for Christmas, they keep fresher that way.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 06:05 PM

We also called into Lidl to see what they had to offer, again no dates but bags of sprouts that won't make tomorrow morning let alone Christmas day.
Longy, I don’t think Lidl or Aldi have ever stated dates on their fruit or veg. All though, I am not keen on these two stores, l have bought bags of red onions from them!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Longy, I don’t think Lidl or Aldi have ever stated dates on their fruit or veg. All though, I am not keen on these two stores, l have bought bags of red onions from them!
We came out with just a bag of biscuits but they will be gone by tonight anyway.

I saw the sprout tree and thought it was for hanging mugs on.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 06:08 PM

We came out with just a bag of biscuits but they will be gone by tonight anyway.

Trust you!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 06:08 PM

Daft nana!!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 06:10 PM

Thanks for telling me the cauliflowers are only 29p in Tesco as l need to get some. I would have paid the usual £1 otherwise!
I bought two bags of potatoes for 50p each yesterday from Morrison’s. Go on, tell me...they’re only 29p in Tesco!!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 06:33 PM

Hi

In days of old the veg was stored properly, so no problem.

Now some of the supermarkets store it in nitrogen to prolong the shelf life.

As soon as it comes into contact with air it spoils quickly.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 06:46 PM

I buy most of my veg from Greenlink organic unless they run out. I can tell by looking at most veg how fresh it is and how long it will last.
Leeks and cauliflower, you can tell their age by looking at their bottoms which should be as white as possible and not turning brown
...root veg keep for ages,
... most other veg should be crisp and firm and not wrinkly or wilting .
Organic root veg is not often washed and comes with a layer of soil which helps to keep it fresh.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 09:30 PM

They have those sprout trees in our local market.... I'm sure they will be ok for Christmas day.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top