Join for free
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 02:19 PM

Direct Debits.

Can I just cancel a direct debit and that will be the end of the matter? Or does, because they have my bank details give them the option of trying again?

I'm not owe any money but fear talk talk may try anything. I signed up with them then cancelled after 5 minutes after realising there was nothing wrong with my own ips.

They set up the direct debit and I noticed it whilst browsing one of my bank accounts. I was able to cancel it but will they try again? All I want to do is cancel this contract and thought I had, but they make it as hard as Amazon Prime.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 02:44 PM

Re: Direct Debits.

Only YOU can set up a direct debit on your account Ffosse. Talk Talk does not have access to your bank account. If there is a direct debit then YOU must have at some point given authority for that either by signing a piece of paper or doing the same online.

You can cancel any standing order or direct debit in your bank account any time you like.

However I caution you to check any contract to which you have signed up. If that contract mandated that you have a direct debit set up then you would be breaching the contract.

There will be a specific section in your contract about cancelling it. Read it and understand your obligations. If this is a brand new contract then you likely have a "cooling off" period where you can cancel without any termination fees and the like.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 03:10 PM

Once you cancel it with the bank if they do try again the bank will be at fault letting them have any money so it's a really safe system as no bank wants a reputation of ignoring a customers orders.

We have started and cancelled numerous DDs over the years with no problems whatsoever.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 10:10 PM

There is no problem cancelling a direct debit (unless it is part of a contract you have agreed to). If you need to cancel as well as cancelling with your bank (either on line or personally) you must also advise the recipient that you have or will be cancelling the DD and on what date it will become effective.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top