Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 09:17 AM

Re: Why do we hate the EU?

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
There's more but I'm guessing you're not really listening.
I am.

I hate the EU because it has the CAP which is designed to keep fat French farmers well paid and driving around in shiny new tractors whilst half heartedly producing food that no-one would buy if the CAP didn't subsidise thm to the hilt.
But is it not the same for UK farmers?

I hate the Fisheries Policy that allows foreign factory ships to absolutely plunder British waters.
Me too.

I hate uncontrolled free movement of labour that suppresses wages, reduces job security and conditions and reduces the bargaining power of British workers and is bad for social cohesion.
Me too.

I hate the remote level of EU Gov't where the UK has a voice but no influence, where we can't elect commisioners or remove them from office, even when they are nasty, drunken, self serving fools.
Are you saying that the UK Commissioner has less influence that some non UK Commissioners?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I dislike the EU gravy train immensely...I think we we joined a trade agreement a common market and ended up with a Federation State ...I'm not I favour of that.
I would agree with you on that Summer. The common market seemed like a good idea...... but most of us had no idea how they would eventually try to make us one state. The real problem is that it is beginning to look like there is no escape.....makes you wonder what the MP's are getting out of remaining, doesn't it?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
First let me say that I do not hate the EU & will continue to visit it's countries, but I did vote to leave.
The real problem is that your link just demonstrates how those, who think differently to me, try to make leave voters seem to be imbeciles, for voting that way.
Newspapers have always had the ability to use ludicrous headlines, to capture peoples attention & promote their political ideas....but it doesn't mean what they say is accurately reported!

When will people realize that many leave voters had genuine reasons for voting "Leave" and had the right to vote on those reasons! Our reasons were not all the same..... just as those who vote for Tories, or Labour don't all vote that way for the same reason!

The Uk used to be a democracy, where the majority vote wins.......but we now see that being eroded by selfish politicians who are protesting to get things the way they want them to go! No government can give all the people everything they want, but it seems to me that today's politicians are looking for greater accolade, or a higher job.

It isn't the EU that we hate, it is our politicians, who put their own needs first and are destroying the democracy that was once so important to our country!
Good post.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

28-03-2019, 09:22 AM

I dislike the EU gravy train immensely...I think we we joined a trade agreement a common market and ended up with a Federation State ...I'm not I favour of that.
Yes well, we've just got ourselves to blame. We, the UK, are founder members of the EU as we know it.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Yes well, we've just got ourselves to blame. We, the UK, are founder members of the EU as we know it.
Aye well...we never got a vote on the "as we know it " bit
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 09:43 AM

The bodleian library archives give an insight into what we knew when joining the EEC and an open letter written by Edward Heath seems to show that we were aware of the political integration that was to follow

http://blogs.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/archi.../edward-heath/

That not to say that peaple would actually like it when it occurred though
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by twink55 ->
first let me say that i do not hate the eu & will continue to visit it's countries, but i did vote to leave.
The real problem is that your link just demonstrates how those, who think differently to me, try to make leave voters seem to be imbeciles, for voting that way.
Newspapers have always had the ability to use ludicrous headlines, to capture peoples attention & promote their political ideas....but it doesn't mean what they say is accurately reported!

When will people realize that many leave voters had genuine reasons for voting "leave" and had the right to vote on those reasons! Our reasons were not all the same..... Just as those who vote for tories, or labour don't all vote that way for the same reason!

The uk used to be a democracy, where the majority vote wins.......but we now see that being eroded by selfish politicians who are protesting to get things the way they want them to go! No government can give all the people everything they want, but it seems to me that today's politicians are looking for greater accolade, or a higher job.

It isn't the eu that we hate, it is our politicians, who put their own needs first and are destroying the democracy that was once so important to our country!

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 11:02 AM

I dislike it at a very basic level that we don't need another level of government above us. Local council, county council, Mps and parliament, HOL and lords, MEPs and parliament, none elected officials .... how many people do we need to tell us what to do ? Queen and royals are in the mix there somewhere too.
Unsure
UK
Unsure is male  Unsure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 12:42 PM

Right first of all thankyou for the honest replies and I certainly agree with some of the points as follows below:-

Moscow;1671755]I hate the EU because it has the CAP which is designed to keep fat French farmers well paid and driving around in shiny new tractors whilst half heartedly producing food that no-one would buy if the CAP didn't subsidise thm to the hilt.

Not just the French though is it? We also have wealthy UK landowners being paid for doing nothing. Do you think the rest of EU citizens are happy with it? Why do you think we can't we change it?

I hate the Fisheries Policy that allows foreign factory ships to absolutely plunder British waters.

To me the only thing that matters is that fishing is sustainable, properly regulated and good for the environment (not just for Britain but for the whole EU and ultimately the world).

Now if we didn't have the EU to regulate it presumably we would just have one big race to the bottom with every fisherman plundering for himself including UK fishermen. Why do you suppose we the UK can manage it better by ourselves?

I hate uncontrolled free movement of labour that suppresses wages, reduces job security and conditions and reduces the bargaining power of British workers and is bad for social cohesion.

Very good point.
I think what is happening is we have UK businesses deliberately advertising to recruit workers from poorer EU countries aiming to undercut British workers and increase their profits or sustain their crap business models. Our governments Labour and Tory have consistently done nothing about this except pretend their hands are tied by the EU blah, blah, blah. But as a UK citizen you trying getting a permanent job in Belgium.

The same thing happens with immigration from non EU as well.

It is symptomatic of race to the bottom capitalism. Capitalism doesn't care about social cohesion, infrastructure or livelihoods at all. I am sure this issue is a concern for other EU member states. Do you really think that by us leaving the EU we will manage this properly?
If so how?

I hate the remote level of EU Gov't where the UK has a voice but no influence, where we can't elect commisioners or remove them from office, even when they are nasty, drunken, self serving fools.

We get the same input as other major members but we can't be arsed to send proper MEPs what do you expect.

There's more but I'm guessing you're not really listening.

I am very much listening and thankyou for your input.
Unsure
UK
Unsure is male  Unsure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I dislike it at a very basic level that we don't need another level of government above us. Local council, county council, Mps and parliament, HOL and lords, MEPs and parliament, none elected officials .... how many people do we need to tell us what to do ? Queen and royals are in the mix there somewhere too.

I tend to agree with you Julie there are a lots of levels but the top levels are actually important.

My model would look like this...

Local council -- More power

County council -- More power

MPs -- Less power

House of Lords -- Scrap

Queen -- When the current queen dies time for massive reductions.

MEPs -- About the right number but we desperately need proper MEPs no more Nigel Farages.

EU Leadership -- Not really sure but we need an input proportionate to our size and number of MEPs.

World Forums -- Are vital for solving world wide problems. e.g Pollution, famine, wars, Internet regulation, tax havens, etc, etc

I think our difference is that you think we can happily live in our UK bubble, going about our own business and never
really engaging with the world outside or am I wrong?

How do you see it?

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top