Join for free
Page 32 of 40 « First < 22 30 31 32 33 34 > Last »
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2019, 06:25 AM

Re: Flexible extension???

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
I'm sorry banchory. According to google:

One of the frequently mentioned objections to the WTO is its way of working, and in particular its 'consensus building'. This decision-making process is opaque and not democratic, critics say. The GATT also suffered from this criticism. In theory, all Member States have an equal voice. Although officially possible, voting has never occurred. The Member State that does not oppose a proposal during meetings is automatically deemed to be in favor.

This form of consensus building takes place outside of formal meetings, in the so-called 'back rooms'. This informal consultation is considered necessary inherent to the WTO and "takes the upper hand when time is running out or important decisions are made".

this working method is unheard of, in a democratic organisation like the EU. Bread quite rightly points out that the EU is a much more fair and honest working organisation than the wto. I think it very courageous of bread to aknowledge this, since in the past he was so opposed to the EU. I can only guess that he has seen the light.
That may well be the case but my response to Breads statement is still true in that decisions over policy in both the WTO and The EU are taken by members of the respective organisations albeit in different ways and possibly less transparent with the WTO
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2019, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
That may well be the case but my response to Breads statement is still true in that decisions over policy in both the WTO and The EU are taken by members of the respective organisations albeit in different ways and possibly less transparent with the WTO
Decisions on policy are made by the commission in the EU - whether or not they accept the amendments by parliament.

Decisions on policy are made by the members of the WTO. The membership runs the WTO as a forum (look at how sanctions work, for example).

They are completely different - after 3 days of googling you still fail to understand this.

The EU remember trades with most other countries in the world on WTO rules - they are there for a reason, so that trade is fair and there is a forum for dispute settlement.

The EU customs union and single market is nothing like this
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2019, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Decisions on policy are made by the commission in the EU - whether or not they accept the amendments by parliament.

Decisions on policy are made by the members of the WTO. The membership runs the WTO as a forum (look at how sanctions work, for example).

They are completely different - after 3 days of googling you still fail to understand this.

The EU remember trades with most other countries in the world on WTO rules - they are there for a reason, so that trade is fair and there is a forum for dispute settlement.

The EU customs union and single market is nothing like this
Where on earth do you get this crap from??

The commission has no decision-making powers as such
. EU legislation can only be made by the assent of the Council of Ministers (sometimes along with that of the European parliament). ... The commission does not decide whether member states or other bodies are in breach of the treaties or other EU law.

Commission initiatives for new policies, communications and laws need to be agreed on internally.

For gods sake start using google or any other search engine before you make more cock up's.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2019, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by itsme ->
Where on earth do you get this crap from??

The commission has no decision-making powers as such
. EU legislation can only be made by the assent of the Council of Ministers (sometimes along with that of the European parliament). ... The commission does not decide whether member states or other bodies are in breach of the treaties or other EU law.

Commission initiatives for new policies, communications and laws need to be agreed on internally.

For gods sake start using google or any other search engine before you make more cock up's.

Your learning ... good, after 3 days or so looks like your finally coming round to agreeing with me - just the unelected/elected bit to clarify and that the unelected commission make the laws as follows ....

MEP - vote on proposals from the unlelected Commission ...

Commission - propose laws which MEPs vote on (pointlessly because they are only passed if the Commission (unelected) agrees them - not democratic at all)

Council - Heads of Government that can veto (or not - vetoes are getting less and less over time)

There you go - I cannot make it simpler than that.

Parliament - pointless
Commission - propose laws (unelected) and swear an oath to only act in the interest of the EU as a whole not its own member state (ouch !)
Council - can veto (or not) - but vetoes are becoming less and less.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2019, 05:30 PM

Your learning ... good, after 3 days or so looks like your finally coming round to agreeing with me - just the unelected/elected bit to clarify and that the unelected commission make the laws as follows ....

Commission - propose laws which MEPs vote on (pointlessly because they are only passed if the Commission (unelected) agrees them - not democratic at all)

Council - Heads of Government that can veto (or not - vetoes are getting less and less over time)

Parliament - pointless
Commission - propose laws (unelected) and swear an oath to only act in the interest of the EU as a whole not its own member state (ouch !)
That's clear enough for me.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2019, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
That's clear enough for me.
That's nice, since you will have to comply with it for some years. You don't believe me? Watch what happens next week when may brings into the HoC the legislation for the withdrawal deal.
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2019, 07:18 PM

Parliament - pointless
https://ec.europa.eu/info/about-euro...on-does/law_en
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

25-04-2019, 07:19 PM

That's nice, since you will have to comply with it for some years. You don't believe me? Watch what happens next week when may brings into the HoC the legislation for the withdrawal deal.
Here is a wonderful example of democracy in the EU courtesy of the unelected Martin Selmayr ... here feeling the full force of the MEP's trying to get rid of him.

A great example of the voting power that Parliament has ...

Read on ...

https://www.euractiv.com/section/eu-...-oust-selmayr/
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2019, 07:29 PM

And then to think your HoC has only half of the power the europarliament has. But then again, at european level is where the really important decisions for the UK are made. Your own HoC hasn't made any decision of importance lately. You should thank god for the EU.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2019, 07:48 PM

Here is a wonderful example of democracy in the EU courtesy of the unelected Martin Selmayr ... here feeling the full force of the MEP's trying to get rid of him.

A great example of the voting power that Parliament has ...

Read on ...

https://www.euractiv.com/section/eu-...-oust-selmayr/
Yes, that certainly seems to confirm your suggestion.

Page 32 of 40 « First < 22 30 31 32 33 34 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top