Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 02:17 PM

First ever photo of a Black Hole!

Just announced and shown on the TV...... the first ever photo of a Black Hole!

It's a supermassive black hole called Sagittarius A* and is 26,000 light years from Earth.
It's about 6 million times the mass of the sun.

Exciting stuff!

Quote from NDTV:

"The black hole, Sagittarius A*, is right at the centre of the Milky Way galaxy. The photo has been taken using the Event Horizon Telescope which consists of a number of telescopes spread across the planet.

Black holes are immensely dense objects which don't let anything escape from its gravity, not even light.

This is the first time we'll be seeing a photo of a black hole. So far, everything you've seen has merely been an illustration based on some scientific study.

The Event Horizon Telescope uses a bunch of radio telescopes of different capacities, spread around Earth, that are linked together to combine signals. These create a VLBI (Very Long Baseline Interferometer)."
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 02:59 PM

Re: First ever photo of a Black Hole!

I've just been looking at that on the Mail on line.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ifcation-small

It looks like a bum hole to me.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 03:27 PM

Fantastic .....

The stuff of dreams (and nightmares ..... ) .....

So why "Event Horizon" .....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event_horizon

In general relativity, an event horizon (EH) is a region in spacetime beyond which events cannot affect an outside observer. In layman's terms, it is defined as the shell of "points of no return", i.e., the boundary at which the gravitational pull of a massive object becomes so great as to make escape impossible. An event horizon is most commonly associated with black holes. Light emitted from inside the event horizon can never reach the outside observer. Likewise, any object approaching the horizon from the observer's side appears to slow down and never quite pass through the horizon, with its image becoming more and more redshifted as time elapses. This means that the wavelength of the light emitted from the object is getting longer as the object moves away from the observer. The travelling object, however, experiences no strange effects and does, in fact, pass through the horizon in a finite amount of proper time.

More specific types of horizon include the related but distinct absolute and apparent horizons found around a black hole.
Just ..... spooky .....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I've just been looking at that on the Mail on line.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ifcation-small

It looks like a bum hole to me.
After a curry.

Tbh, I always thought a black hole would be...... well, black, I had no idea it looked like that. Amazing picture.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 03:58 PM

The thing seems to be smiling, a happy hole, nice to have plenty of happy holes out in space, we seem to be running out of them down here.
Seriously Pyxell, it’s great they could put that terrific picture together, thanks for showing it.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
The thing seems to be smiling, a happy hole, nice to have plenty of happy holes out in space, we seem to be running out of them down here.
Seriously Pyxell, it’s great they could put that terrific picture together, thanks for showing it.
I just happened to be looking at the TV just before the news when they started it early with this bit of breaking news, so I stayed glued and photographed the TV screen.

Dunno about happy hole! They called it looking into the jaws of hell, due to its destructive power.

Still we are far enough away.......at the moment.
Although I've heard there is a black hole in the middle of the Milky Way...our galaxy!

Longdogs, the hole is the black centre; the light around it is apparently what happens to light in the proximity of the hole.....or something!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 04:03 PM

If it doesn't emit anything, including light, how was it possible to get a photograph of it?
Pyxell
South of England

10-04-2019, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
If it doesn't emit anything, including light, how was it possible to get a photograph of it?
Because of that light effect around it, I suppose.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
Because of that light effect around it, I suppose.
Fantasy becoming real lthink, so what we see is not the
actual core of the hole, but the red shift of of all the
objects, ( that have been captured by the hole )as they
approach the event horizon then Pyxell? I was wondering
how it could be pictured.
Thanks for your explanation, it helped a lot

Best Regards Donkeyman
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 07:24 PM

If it's in the Daily Mail then it must be true.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top