Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 06:11 PM

Re: Dogs on leads whilst out walking

I heard about this year's ago when I first went back to the Dog Club and Obedience classes. All dog trainers should be explaining about this to every class and new owners. I tell everyone I meet when out with my dog, and I see their dog needs space, I also meet holiday makers with their dogs who are off lead and paying no attention to their owners. I show them how to get their dog to pay attention and listen, often I feel like I'm a mobile trainer lol. I always ask if they know what a yellow lead means, then explain it to them, also try to get them to go to training when they return home. I do my best to spread the word. I feel a nationwide TV Advert would help a lot.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 06:15 PM

I suppose most of you know I have a Collie.
He has a lovely temperament and is pets as therapy (PAT) qualified. He has to be well behaved and he is obedient. I do put him on a lead when we walk along a road with vehicles.

Elsewhere, he is off lead even when there are other dogs around. You have to know your dog.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 06:20 PM

My Old English Sheepdogs were PAT Dogs, I was the Area Controller for a few years until I retired my aging dogs. I had to test any new dogs and help them get settled in a place to visit. Very rewarding work.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
This Yellow Lead of warning may be of some help.

https://www.yellowdoguk.co.uk/
I heard about this year's ago when I first went back to the Dog Club and Obedience classes. All dog trainers should be explaining about this to every class and new owners. I tell everyone I meet when out with my dog, and I see their dog needs space, I also meet holiday makers with their dogs who are off lead and paying no attention to their owners. I show them how to get their dog to pay attention and listen, often I feel like I'm a mobile trainer lol. I always ask if they know what a yellow lead means, then explain it to them, also try to get them to go to training when they return home. I do my best to spread the word. I feel a nationwide TV Advert would help a lot.
That’s awesome. They should have a nationwide tv advert for it
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I suppose most of you know I have a Collie.
He has a lovely temperament and is pets as therapy (PAT) qualified. He has to be well behaved and he is obedient. I do put him on a lead when we walk along a road with vehicles.

Elsewhere, he is off lead even when there are other dogs around. You have to know your dog.

I'm afraid I think there is a little more to it than just knowing YOUR dog, because no matter how well you know yours, you don't know a darn thing about the other dog!
This is precisely what we are on about.

Some may not want a strange dog wandering over, whether he is well behaved or not.
For example, you can get someone with a 'reactive' dog, that hates other dogs, and so the owners try to keep their dog out of people's way, or walk in quieter places to avoid other dogs, and someone else thinking their dog is well mannered doesn't help the unsociable one one iota.

I remember once I had a bitch in season who was climbing the walls for a good run, and in the end I took her out across the fields to what I thought was miles away from anyone else, so she could stretch her legs. Guess what?
A well meaning dog owner thought it would be nice for his dog to come and play! Fortunately mine had an excellent recall.
You would think the fact that I had called mine and slipped her lead on quick would have sent a message to the bloke - but no.
His dog being 'well behaved', didn't stop him wanting to hump my girl!
I was furious, because we had deliberately tried to keep away well out the way.

So this is why I say it is not all about YOUR dog. There are two dogs involved here, not just yours.

Talking of PAT dogs, many are happy to receive a visit from these lovely dogs, but it was only recently I realised all the paperwork involved with doing these visits to places.
Nor that the dogs owner has to wear a photo ID at all times.
I fully understand the need for the CRB checks though.

Do you mind me asking whether he was registered before you rehomed him, or if you had his assessed done yourself?
Is it done in one visit, or several?

I was fussing an enormous Newfoundland Pat dog at the local hospital recently, he was the size of a donkey and such a beautiful boy.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 08:14 PM

My Old English Sheepdogs were PAT Dogs, I was the Area Controller for a few years until I retired my aging dogs. I had to test any new dogs and help them get settled in a place to visit. Very rewarding work.

Well done you Roxy.
As you say, it must have been very rewarding. Not only to see the joy you brought, but also you must have felt very proud indeed of your dogs.

So many have to give up their pets when they move into care, and they miss them terribly. I know I would.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

17-04-2019, 08:26 PM

The dogs loved it, they soaked up all the loving and petting like a pair of giant sponges lol.
We used to visit a sick children's home and a retirement home.
I have some photos some place, will have to find them and scan them into the computer so as you can see them.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

17-04-2019, 08:31 PM

The dogs loved it, they soaked up all the loving and petting like a pair of giant sponges lol.
We used to visit a sick children's home and a retirement home.
I have some photos some place, will have to find them and scan them into the computer so as you can see them.

That would be nice, when you have the time Roxy.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 09:16 PM

I have looked into PETS in fact I did a course as a tester .
My collie would be perfect except for two things
The insistence that dogs must not eat raw food .
( I was told in case they give anyone salmonella )
This is something I do not believe will happen and I do give my dog raw bones .

The second is that dogs must have up to date vaccinations .
As I do not believe in this over vaccinating of dogs he cannot be a therapy dog .
ATM he is just out of his three year first vaccinations but he is has UTD also vaccinations against rabies and leptospirosis.
The initial vaccinations last many years if not forever there is no need IMO to give booster vaccines every year for parvo etc .
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I'm afraid I think there is a little more to it than just knowing YOUR dog, because no matter how well you know yours, you don't know a darn thing about the other dog!
Mine walks away from any potential confrontational situation.
"Max, let's go." if I even need to say anything.
He knows even if I don't.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top