Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 06:06 PM

Re: Disgusting.....

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Part 1 of 2

Re the UK being one of the richest countries in the world.

No it isn't.

– Snip –
Thanks for putting me right on that, although I did write "it is said" as I didn't have anything to prove or disprove that. However, I have now found the link below which shows the UK to be 24 on the list of the 25 richest countries based on average income:

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/money/...come/35953213/

Not good but I still believe it's appalling that in this country in this age someone could be allowed to get so emaciated. That was what really shocked me on first seeing the photographs and led to my comments!

For anyone who lives on their own becoming unwell can be a real worry. I know as I've been there. Unless you have been in this situation you will never know just how difficult this is to deal with should it happen.

At one time there used to be help available but nowadays and for some time now this seems not to be the case. Patients are discharged home at all times of the day, and evening, to possibly a cold, empty house after receiving hospital treatment.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by the artful todger ->
there are times when i wonder how those who refer to the conservative party in derogatory terms would describe a surgeon who had removed a malignant tumour that was ruining their health and future prospects but resulted in a short period of postoperative pain.
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 07:26 PM

There are times when I wonder how those who refer to the Conservative party in derogatory terms would describe a surgeon who had removed a malignant tumour that was ruining their health and future prospects but resulted in a short period of postoperative pain.
They're not surgeons.

They're quacks.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 11:28 AM

There are times when I wonder how those who refer to the Conservative party in derogatory terms would describe a surgeon who had removed a malignant tumour that was ruining their health and future prospects but resulted in a short period of postoperative pain.
I take it you refer to the last financial crash when you talk
about operating on a sick body, causing short term pain to
achieve long term well being!
Well, that crash was caused by a particular sector of the uk
economy, which in its efforts to push profits to unattainable
levels took unacceptable risks with other peoples money, and
thus, bankrupted themselves and us in the process!
So l would like to know how can you cure a malignant
desease in the torso by amputating a toe from the foot?
I hope you recognise the anology?

Regards Donkeyman!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 11:56 AM

I would like to raise another point here.

One of the reasons they started putting pressure on those claiming benefits was because too many have worked out how to play the system. There are people who claim benefits, but still manage to work for cash only & the people they live among don't report them. You don't have to be too clever to convince a doctor that you are ill or disabled & there are many illnesses that can't be proven by medical tests!
Surely the fraudulent claimers must be partly responsible for this poor sick man being forced to work
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I take it you refer to the last financial crash when you talk
about operating on a sick body, causing short term pain to
achieve long term well being!
Well, that crash was caused by a particular sector of the uk
economy, which in its efforts to push profits to unattainable
levels took unacceptable risks with other peoples money, and
thus, bankrupted themselves and us in the process!
So l would like to know how can you cure a malignant
desease in the torso by amputating a toe from the foot?
I hope you recognise the anology?

Regards Donkeyman!
A very good point and I'm pleased it has been raised.

Let's just examine what took place before the UK banking system went "open loop" - in other words took off like crazy.

For many many years the UK banking system had been subject to the controls set out and audited by the Bank of England. The BoE was in effect managed by the Government which gave responsibility for the economy to the Chancellor of the Exchequer.

If Stirling fell the CoE was responsible for putting in place measures to manage the situation by dictating interest rates, similarly if Stirling rose the CoE could control that in effect controling our import/export ballance to our advantage. But the buck stopped with the CoE.

And then along came Brown.

Rather than carry the can that tw@ broke what had served us fine we'll for many many years.

By his actions in breaking the link between the treasury and the BoE he decoupled ministerial and so political responsibility for the economy. Instead of carrying the can and managing the economy he simply gave the now independent BoE a target for inflation but even worse he removed surveyance and management of banks by the BoE and didn't replace it with anything.

The results?

Bankers engaged in their prime responsibility, delivering shareholder value.

Changes in the finance and banking sector in America as a result of Clinton having pushed through the repeal of the Glass-Steagall act which, in the absence of any control to limit what the UK finance houses and banks were whole to do left little option but exploit the opportunities that became open.

Had Brown NOT screwed up the management and control that the BoE had been providing the huge losses resulting from toxic stock from the USA the impact on our hole banking system would have been massively reduced.

Don't blame the Bankers, they were just tell scorpion out of Aesop's fables of the Fox and the Scorpion table.

Blame Brown.
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 02:13 PM

Blaming Brown - who was, let's face it,a good Tory Chancellor, no Conservative politicians ever having moaned at the time about his de-regulating - is mad.

It was reckless lending in the US housing market which caused the collapse. No-one now doubts this. No finance minister in any one country could have prevented the damage.

See John Kay's book, Other People's Money (2015).
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 02:49 PM

If Brown hadn't broken the role and powers of the BoE the UK banks would not have the freedom that they did to exploit the "opportunities" that the toxic bundles being offered for sale from the USA.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 04:12 PM

If Brown hadn't broken the role and powers of the BoE the UK banks would not have the freedom that they did to exploit the "opportunities" that the toxic bundles being offered for sale from the USA.
Hi

Spot on.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
But when I castigate the barstewards, you seem to suppport them - so you're getting tarred with the same brush, and if you don't like it - tough!!!
Look Joe, I know you have an absolutely unswerving and frankly obsessive grudge against the tories, but do you really think that Labour would have treated this case any differently?
No mate, they wouldn't. All politicians are in it for themselves, whatever the party. They lie to us constantly, everybody knows that.

Back to the main topic, and it doesn't surprise me at all. Too many people were probably involved, too many clerks shuffling paperwork with time delays and leaving things sitting on the backburner. Cases like this take years to get sorted out because issues are priorities incorrectly. But the main reason they are is because of money. A man like this is not as "important" to society as some wealthy businessman who would rake in more tax for the government.

Such a shame he has ended up like this though.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top