Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 01:12 PM

Re: Are we set to become a Republic ???

Originally Posted by Devo ->
We desperately need to become a republic. The millstone round this country's neck for ever is the monarchy, the symbol of privilege and demanded deference, the keystone of the whole sorry class structure and the straitjacket that traps everyone here in an atavistic set of imposed values that bear no resemblance or worth to reality.
In a country where many people live in imposed poverty and sickness, to give hundreds of millions of pounds to this overpampered, wealthy by inheritance, bunch of parasites and scroungers is nothing short of criminal.
Unfortunately there are scroungers at the top and scroungers at the bottom. It's the middle that gets shafted the most.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 02:32 PM

We desperately need to become a republic. The millstone round this country's neck for ever is the monarchy, the symbol of privilege and demanded deference, the keystone of the whole sorry class structure and the straitjacket that traps everyone here in an atavistic set of imposed values that bear no resemblance or worth to reality.
In a country where many people live in imposed poverty and sickness, to give hundreds of millions of pounds to this overpampered, wealthy by inheritance, bunch of parasites and scroungers is nothing short of criminal.
Not a fan then?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 03:13 PM

Just remember our royality does bring in a load of tourists and their cash, something a republic cannot do
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Just remember our royality does bring in a load of tourists and their cash, something a republic cannot do
Personally I don't believe that. Tourists come to look at the buildings, not to have a chat with the Royals.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 03:26 PM

Precious few will be coming here just in hope of catching a glimpse of the royal family.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 04:37 PM

https://www.edp24.co.uk/business/nor...ists-1-5856672

Quite a few are interested in history.
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 05:07 PM

Nearly two decades into the 21st century and the jurisdiction in which we reside is still "reigned over" by a hereditary head of state.

You couldn't make it up.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

23-04-2019, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by OldFogey ->
Nearly two decades into the 21st century and the jurisdiction in which we reside is still "reigned over" by a hereditary head of state.

You couldn't make it up.
I'm no fan of the Royals but the thought of people like you and Joe in charge is mind boggling.
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 05:53 PM

A myth only perpetuated by the terminally forelock-tugging and those whose position would be threatened by a republic,
How is their tourism worth calculated?
Do these apologists have no regard for this country?
In my 60+ years I have seen the queen in the flesh once, not that I have gone out of my way to ogle her. What chances does a tourist have?
And think about it - most of the tourist destinations in Europe are republics.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 06:06 PM

A myth only perpetuated by the terminally forelock-tugging and those whose position would be threatened by a republic,
How is their tourism worth calculated?
Do these apologists have no regard for this country?
In my 60+ years I have seen the queen in the flesh once, not that I have gone out of my way to ogle her. What chances does a tourist have?
And think about it - most of the tourist destinations in Europe are republics.
The problem is many don't appreciate the freedom we have in this country. We have free voting not told who we must vote for. We can travel anywhere in this country without being questioned. To top it all we also have the best real ale of any country.
Go to Russia and all you get is Vodka, a drink that doesn't even have any colour.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top