Join for free
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2015, 11:12 AM

Growing potatoes in containers

This year Mrs.G got an offer of 5 potato tubers and a growing bag, so we decided to try them.
We 'harvested' them yesterday and got a reasonable return.
The variety was 'Jazzy' and it produces smooth white medium sized tubers. The problem was that they had a poor texture and taste so we won't try them again.

Anyone else tried growing potatoes in containers ? What variety do you use?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2015, 12:46 PM

Re: Growing potatoes in containers

No George I haven't but I know those who have with great success.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2015, 01:37 PM

I never stick to any particular variety, although I find Marfona to be a good all-rounder.
I never buy seed potatoes, I use any old spuds that have started sprouting.
Just stick em in the ground or in containers in early spring or mid summer and wait until the haulms (foliage) has died down then wait a week or so and dig em up !
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2015, 04:18 PM

It wasn't the best year in the garden for some things, but our other potatoes (Anya, Kestrel and Pink Fir Apple) did reasonably well. I just wondered if there were ones particularly suited to container planting.
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2015, 04:24 PM

I have done like Malcolm just put old potatoes I have bought that have gone to seed and started shooting like mad. Usually they are Desiree or King Edwards. Have quite good results. As long as the container you are growing them in has drainage can turn out good.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2015, 07:11 PM

Never tried them in containers but can say Pink Fir Apple are very nice

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top