Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2015, 07:48 AM

Send me the bill

I'm puzzled by some of these ads on TV for short term finance.

Example... Woman finds that boiler (or car) has broken down. Without even checking to see if there's a simple cause, she phones Wonky or the Shark loan co. etc.. and arranges a loan.

So just how many tradespeople do you pay cash on the day?
No, they fix the fault and send you the bill. Then you pay them. If it's a garage, you'll probably pay using a credit card, not pull a bunch of fivers from yout back pocket.

Of course, if they were over 50, they would probably take out an over 50 life cover at the same time. After all, if you suddenly snuff it, you probably don't have time to arrange a loan
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2015, 07:57 AM

Re: Send me the bill

Do people really live like that? I suppose some must do. I would hate to be in debt to anyone. I hate having to use a credit card but make sure it is paid off in full at the statement date. Now the bank tells me that the meagre savings I have will receive even less interest seems to me everything is done for those living on credit but nothing for those that try to save a bit each month.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2015, 08:00 AM

You mean to say that those people on the ads aren't real. Well I'm shocked.....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2015, 09:24 AM

Well there have been moments when we have had to resort to borrowing to get the item even looked at - those £70 call out charges sting a bit if you haven't got it. Some places even ask for payment upfront before attending - last plumbing emergency we paid the call out charge over the phone before they even agreed to come out.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2015, 09:26 AM

Dear me Julie that's tough....Surrey must be very different to Lancashire !
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2015, 09:30 AM

"seems to me everything is done for those living on credit but nothing for those that try to save a bit each month. "

You're right there Moyra. I'm trying to find somewhere to save my pensions. Lloyds give 4% on £5k and TSB have a similar deal (subject to conditions). From April the first £1k of interest will be tax free.

I'm trying to get things sorted out to meet the conditions and maximise the interest. Not sure where to invest the rest.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire

01-10-2015, 09:42 AM

Dear me Julie that's tough....Surrey must be very different to Lancashire !

And Aberdeenshire.

The last time I had an intermittant boiler fault, the plumber couldn't easily isolate the fault. He suggested that I waited till the fault was there all the time and then call him rather than pay for unnecessary time and parts.
He didn't charge anything for the visit.
As it happened, I fixed it myself with some advice from the boiler customer services.
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2015, 09:52 AM

Years ago, I had a friend called Paul who was living 'on the edge', and had difficulty in meeting all of his bills.

He found he could apply for a credit card with £1,000 overspend limit, so he applied and was surprised at how easy it was. Within a short time, he had spent his £1,000 and the bank offered him a £2,000 limit. It was so easy. He spent that as well. The bank started reminding him that he needed to pay some of this money back...

Somebody suggested he should get another card from a different bank, which he did - this time with a £2,000 credit from day one, and he paid back the first bank from his second card.

This went on for several cards; he owed thousands...

I asked him how he would ever clear these cards, and he said, 'When I die, they can all fight for my dirty underpants. That's all I have.'

Those days are over, thankfully.
... Or are they? There are still the credit sharks around, still taking advantage of the poor people who cannot cope.
A mother with hungry kids will do anything to feed them.

It's so sad.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2015, 10:26 AM

You could try the Santander 123 current account GW
It offers 3% on £20,000 plus other benefits....check it out !
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK

01-10-2015, 10:47 AM

Or.....you could invest in this and be a millionaire in a few years !
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34409779

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top