Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 08:43 AM

The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

I don't normally like sequels - they are rarely as good as the original - happily this one is the exception! It is funny, it has a plot, it has pathos, it has romance and intrigue. It continues from where the first one left off so you really do need to see that one first or you will be slightly bewildered.

There was such a lot of media noise about Richard Gere being it but he really had only a small cameo role and that was not as good as one would expect from him. Judi Dench only ever plays Judi Dench, so no disappointments there. The one who steals the film (just as she did in the first one ) is Maggie Smith - she is brilliant.

However, film makers take note - it has said it all now - do NOT make a third !
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 08:46 AM

Re: The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

I enjoyed the first one and will get to see this one when it comes down in price. Did wonder why Gere was in it, probably as a sop to the american market. Glad to hear its up to scratch.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 09:01 AM

My mum went to see it last week and said how good it was, but we'll most likely pick ip the DVD when it's on offer after Christmas..
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 09:01 AM

I don't go to the cinema but will look forward to seeing it when it reaches the TV
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 09:09 AM

I agree absolutely. I enjoyed it more than the first, though I had been apprehensive about whether it was possible to make a sequel.

No more! Go out at the top
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 10:02 AM

I am glad to hear that it is up to the standard of the first which I thoroughly enjoyed watching, I have watched it more than once as it made me laugh.

Hubby got me the DVD for the second marigold last week but I have not had time to watch it as yet. Something to look forward to.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 10:13 AM

I enjoyed the first but this one .... I had to turn it off!

The word 'twee' comes to mind ...

excessively or affectedly quaint, pretty, or sentimental
Indeed in bucket loads. Too much for me to handle and it gave me a right headache. Talking about buckets I nearly had to reach for one. Way way too daft and sloppy.

I could go on about the ridiculous character developments and background stories they produced but I won't. Don't want to spoil it for anyone.

Just my opinion of course .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 10:55 AM

Sounds like we will enjoy it when it comes down in price. Quite like twee
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Sounds like we will enjoy it when it comes down in price. Quite like twee
I have a few other words I could throw at it like: insufferable or silly or cringe worthy (2 words) or embarrassing. I might as well mention the miscasting too.

Not for the faint-hearted this sequel.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 11:41 AM

Loved the original though so will give it a go if the cast is half as good second time it's worth a look.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top