Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2014, 11:46 PM

Re: Letter Writing?

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I can't keep my hand writing together long enough to write a letter to someone; after a few paragraphs it is indecipherable (nice word that ).
Aye, a very woody word.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2014, 12:58 PM

I vary between letters generated on the computer, and handwritten.

A Christmas, I pop in a small handwritten, as I have one or two friends who still value the personal note, rather than the detestable 'round robin'. However, my friend in the US, who I've known since before leaving school in 1968, still won't change to email, as she uses computers at work and I think gets fed of them by the time she's home to her lazy out of work husband. I don't know if she uses the internet at all, actually,

So, because I always have a lot to say (as evidenced on here!), I tend to type 2 pages of A4 paper, taking up both sides, and only write every few months, when sending a letter to her.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2014, 03:44 PM

Two A4 pages and both sides, you have my admiration Jazz.
I'm about to write to my mums' old friend, I shall try very hard to match that
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2014, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by billclay ->
Whatever happened to penpals, did you have one ?
Yes, I did. When we migrated here from the UK my mother organised a couple of my school friends to write to me and one of the two has written ever since. I still have "pen pals" -they are just "email-pals" now. As someone else said it's so much cheaper - and faster than 10-15 days to the UK.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2014, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Two A4 pages and both sides, you have my admiration Jazz.
I'm about to write to my mums' old friend, I shall try very hard to match that
Yes, always have a lot to say. My news come out as mini stories! . When using the computer I just type, and type, and type... Get very carried away.

But she always says she loves receiving/reading them, and looks forward to them, so long may I continue.

(She has visited the UK - when I first met her - and I've been over there. We have the Dave Clark Five in common. It was the fan club secretary at the time who introduced us to each other. Our friendship goes back to before 1968.)
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2014, 06:54 AM

Ah, I was wondering if somebody had brought up this subject!
I just came across a box of letters from my mum (from between 1975-1993) last week, and spent a good couple of hours reading them. And crying too!
I feel so lucky to have them. I treasure them way more than I do emails.
When my kid left home, I started writing to her once a week, and still do. She's not as good as writing back, but if I'm a few days late, I get an email or a phone call wanting to know where her letter is!

I also send postcards once a month or so to a couple of friends, just to say hello. We've been doing that for a couple of years now, and have quite a nice collection of postcards going!
Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2014, 07:17 AM

My handwriting these days is atrocious, but I do hand write some letters to a friend in Europe. She doesn't always feel like using the computer, and I think the beauty of a letter which you can hold in your hand, is that it feels more personal than an email.

That must have been lovely lovemyboys to have found letters from your mum, what a find.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2014, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Linden Tree ->
That must have been lovely lovemyboys to have found letters from your mum, what a find.
I'd forgotten I had them packed away from moving a few times, so I was real happy to come across them. They're now in a more special spot!

And you're right, a letter you can hold is a lot more personal, especially when you think that the writer also held those pieces of paper, and envelopes too.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2014, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by lovemyboys ->

I also send postcards once a month or so to a couple of friends, just to say hello. We've been doing that for a couple of years now, and have quite a nice collection of postcards going!
I do like postcards and always send them to friends and relatives when I am on holiday. I try to persuade my kids to do the same when they are in foreign parts. My daughter always remembers whereas with my sons it is a very hit and miss affair - my middle son just bought postcards when he was in the Middle East and gave them to me when he got back, didn't have quite the same feel about it.

I put all the postcards I receive on the wall.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada

25-06-2014, 08:24 AM

It's definitely much nicer if they're sent.

I've been thinking of putting them on the wall, but not too sure how to go about. I don't want the back ruined, as they all have writing on them.
Maybe something like this:

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top