Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2014, 08:21 AM

Re: Bye bye XP

I'm using Windows 8.1.1 and am very pleased with it. I prefer to stay up to date with Microsoft releases.

XP not being any trouble is a personal experience. It certainly has given problems for many people. Forums have been full of these over the years. Also, like Microsoft's current operating system, it was strongly criticized during its early months. Lots of people disliked it. It gradually gained favour (signs of this happening with Windows 8.1 too) and now many don't want to see it go.

I'm sure XP will be used by many for a period of time but because it is old and unsupported, I think upgrading or using a different operating system for Internet purposes should be considered. I'd second Ubuntu. Many people manage on Windows XP using only free programs and Ubuntu provides plenty of free equivalents to them. There is a learning curve but Ubuntu sets out to make things as easy as possible for the non-technical user.

As far as I can see, programs installed on XP that don't need an Internet connection can be run until the user needs to upgrade them. Even then, the upgrades might run on this old OS

All in all, setting up the computer on a dual-boot arrangement to use XP for running paid-for non-Internet dependant programs and Ubuntu for Internet-facing ones, could be a cost-free compromise option worth thinking about.
Steveo
New Member!
London
Steveo is male 

29-04-2014, 09:22 PM

I've been using Ubunto for 5 years now, much quicker than windows, no virus problems and free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2014, 11:46 AM

With the discovery of this major Internet Explorer flaw I would imagine that using XP and IE is a very unsafe place to be at the moment.

Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2014, 12:23 PM

yep which is why I've switched to Chrome until the issue is resolved, those using XP are taking risks because they can't get updates so they're in a no win situation
david
Hervey Bay Australia
david is male  david has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2014, 03:18 AM

Horses for courses.
I have 3 desktop computors and of course a lappy. The laptop is window 7, And I think it Sucks!
My desktops I use Apple for all my photographics. I have photoshop on it and use it to touch up photos, but when printing photos I use BenVista.

The other desktop I use Linux, For all my computor programing and drafting.
I used to use Windows and Auto Cad but I find linux is better and easier and cheaper.

And last is my XP. I use it for my business computor as everyone is up to date on Microsoft products, which makes it the obvious choice.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top