Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Tuppy
South East England
Tuppy is female  Tuppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2014, 06:31 PM

Fibre Optic Broadband

I was wondering had anybody here taken the fibre optic broadband and if it delivers the speeds you were expecting?

We are due to get BT Infinity here shortly and wasn't sure about taking it up.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2014, 06:35 PM

Re: Fibre Optic Broadband

We are on Virgin media cable and the service is excellent. I don't know if it reaches the projected speed as I've never checked it, but it's definitely faster than me....
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2014, 06:54 PM

I have BT Home Hub - is that the same thing? My broadband service is good and I've never had any problems.

Gwyn
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2014, 09:50 PM

Im with Virgin ,and we pay for broadband up to 120,we did a check on the speed this morning and the first reading was 90, second reading was 70,with my monthly bill came the news of it going to 150 by the end of May .
WE are very satisfied with the speed but we are paying for the fastest so its not cheap.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2014, 09:53 PM

We have the BT it's fine, speeds are near what they promise and it rarely lets us down.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2014, 10:20 PM

I'm with Virgin Media and pay for a a 60 Mbps connection. It's usually a bit more than that. Here's the current speedtest.net result:

When the service is working, it is very good. Occasionally though, it drops out completely. A phone call for help usually gets results and the service is returned fairly quickly. I think this is something that only happens in our area. I have a relative who lives a few miles away. He is also with Virgin Media and never gets any trouble.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2014, 11:06 PM

I CAN get fibre optic now with BT, I believe though this wasn't possible not long ago what with this being a multi occupancy building. But though I would love to upgrade, I won't while I am still thinking of moving out.

With Orange and pay just £12.26 a month. I'm still of the opinion that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2014, 10:37 AM

We have moved home in the local area a fair bit. I always considered what the TV signal was like when looking at a prospective property. The signal is a bit marginal around here. It might seem a minor point but most of us spend a lot of leaisure time watching TV, so I placed a bit of importance on it ..and because I was a TV/video recorder engineer and knew where the signal wasn't so good. People used to get awfully upset with snowy TV pictures and I didn't want to be the same.

Just thinking that, if moving now, I'd have to take two things into account. The strength of the terresrial TV signal and the Internet connection speed available in the road. We spend quite a bit of time at both, so a fair amount of importance would still be put on that.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2014, 08:52 AM

I have the NBNCo Fibre connection since February and also have my telephone via VOIP on the same service

Currently I am paying for the 25/5Mbs and that is pretty much the speed I get all the time. From the beginning of next month it is going to 100/40Mbps for an extra $8 a month

What I like is that even for the faster service I am still paying less than I used to pay for ADSL plus the phone line rental.

With the VOIP I have 60 calls untimed to anywhere in Australia included in the $5 I pay per month. No one calling would know it was anything other than a normal phone line.

These pictures were taken before the copper phone line was disconnected now only the blue wire remains.

Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2014, 11:00 AM

Recently upgraded to Sky's fibre - meant to get 40Mbs but actually getting 18Mbs - which isn't far off what our normal broadband was. I am going to call them and might consider going back to normal. Upload speeds have improved though..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top