Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 03:23 PM

Tablets

Quick question for the technically minded - (1) what's the difference between a tablet/phone/laptop (2) are they worth getting and (3) which one should I get if I do get one.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 09:05 PM

Re: Tablets

A phone usually has a smaller screen, and can make calls. (Obvs!). A smartphone connects easily to the internet and is able to use Apps, either Apple or Android. Usually front and rear cameras. Small, compact, fit in pockets and handbags. Can be costly to buy, and to run on a contract. Can connect to a computer to upload/synch files. Storage space limited, 8, 16, 32gb.

A tablet screen would usually be larger and isn't really connected to a network for phone calls (though can use wifi for internet access.) Do not normally allow connections of peripherals. Also usually have front/rear cameras, Apps (Apple or Android). Very portable, with some sizes easily fitting in a bag. Prices vary: can be very very low, <£100, or high end (iPads). Do not need a contract as no mobile phone usage but some iPads run on network cards. Not looked into that. As with mobile, can connect to computer. Storage space, as for mobiles.

A laptop is a portable computer with a bigger screen, full size keyboard, and can be connected to the internet either wirelessly or via an ethernet cable. A laptop would have usb connectors to take peripherals, slots to take memory cards (to upload photos for instance). Quite heavy. Runs on Windows operating system, much larger disk sizes available, and RAM. Do not take Apps, as phones/tablets, rather, it uses programmes either downloaded via internet or installed from disc. Usually has disc player, which has facility to burn discs too. Battery usage average - ?6 hours maybe.

Netbook: smaller version of a laptop. Smaller screen, smaller keyboard (not easy for fast typers). Battery usage can be longer. My one is supposed to go 11 hours, but don't think so. No disc player, but can take an external one. Still has usb and ethernet ports, can be connected to the internet.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 09:13 PM

Laptops and netbooks have a webcam on board, for Skyping and can take photos of self. (Called a selfie.)

Questions to ask yourself are, what do you want? What do you want to pay? I have all four: I need all four!

My IPhone goes everywhere with me, so I can check emails. My iPad is used when sitting down watching telly (on it now). My netbook comes on holiday with me. My laptop is used when I want to work fast on typing documents, or online. And I can also take it away to caravan holidays.

And I have a desktop as well.

Yes, I love my gadgets.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

28-05-2014, 09:18 PM

Another thing about Apps. Apple stringently check all those going on to their store, more so than those on Android sets.

Best thing to do is to grab an Argos catalogue, and browse through it. It gives explanations, comparisons, many makes and models, and may help you choose.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 10:42 PM

Just in case, like me, you don't know the difference between an Android and a dalek - if it's not made by Apple, it's an Android.
I decided I needed a first class tablet and bought a Sony Xperia Z for £££'s and really wish I'd bought something much cheaper and easy to use - a fairly basic Apple would have been great.
Next my old laptop died and I replaced it with a much faster, better model - all great, except it has Windows 8 as an operating system - so that's another expensive mistake!!!
Good luck
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2014, 02:22 AM

Most things have already been covered. The only thing I would add is that a laptop multitasks much better than a tablet and things like copying and pasting on a tablet are a bit clunky.

I have a desktop, a few laptops and a couple of tablets and tend to use then in that order of preference. Even travelling I prefer my netbook to a tablet as the size difference is marginal. The big advantage of the tablet is the battery life, the tablet lasts about 10 hours whereas a laptop is 2 or 3 hours max.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2014, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Just in case, like me, you don't know the difference between an Android and a dalek - if it's not made by Apple, it's an Android.

Good luck
Not entirely true Micro$oft is making a big push into the phone and tablet market with their operating system.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2014, 06:31 AM

I have a laptop (Toshiba) and it is horrible which is why I've been thinking about getting a tablet - I really fancy one of those nice little Ipads, but the cost is still pretty high. I also have a blackberry curve, again pretty naff but I can make calls, texts and emails but surfing the net is out of the question.

I rarely make or take telephone calls or texts from my mobile, I'm more of an email person but I do like the idea of having the ability to access the net when out and about using public Wi-Fi.

I don't listen to a lot of music on earphones or anything - still enjoy a CD in the car.

I guess I'm on Windows 8 - I had no idea that people generally thought it was rubbish, I find it really difficult to open anything without a real palaver and now for no reason at all I can't open PDFs!

I will get the Argos catalogue and might take the plunge and buy an Ipad, I haven't treated myself to anything for a long time.

Thanks to you all for your advice.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

29-05-2014, 07:45 AM

In which case, get the top end iPad, which gives you your own wifi connection. Expensive though, and with running costs, but if out and about, like you said, it's not advisable to use public wifi for internet browsing. There are too many risks of your personal details and log ins being hacked.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

29-05-2014, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
In which case, get the top end iPad, which gives you your own wifi connection. Expensive though, and with running costs, but if out and about, like you said, it's not advisable to use public wifi for internet browsing. There are too many risks of your personal details and log ins being hacked.
Android tablets are much cheaper and or better featured than iPad bang for buckwise.

As for the fear of using public free wifi it is easy enough to set up a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to your home to use your own internet very securely. (this applies to your mobile phone too.) The only pre requisite is that your home internet has a static IP address which most have these days. All android devices have the VPN facilities built in, it is secure and encoded so even if you are on a dodgy server your information is safe.

Much cheaper than a tablet with SIM card facilities.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top