Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2014, 10:02 AM

For Mups / defrag info

Hi Mups, and others.

Defrag is simply: when you create and delete files, the data is scattered all over the hard drive, and it can take time trying to get the information all back together when being read. Defragging brings all the data together, and sort of compresses the hard drive.

You can watch the action and see coloured bars that are first set apart, then as the process continues they move closer together.

I've not done one for awhile so usually do a search on the pooter till I find the command, but maybe someone else will guide you. And me.

CCleaner finds unwanted files and tells you what you can get rid of.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2014, 05:07 PM

Re: For Mups / defrag info

Thanks ever so much for explaining that Jazzi. I'm not much wiser at the mo, but I'll have a rummage around and see what I can find.

p.s. How often is it supposed be done do you reckon?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2014, 06:40 PM

Mups, I think it's in system tools or accessories on the start menu, but some antivirus programmes also have a system clean up option.

As to how often it should be done, probably no good answer, but if things are slowing down it is time to do it!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2014, 07:04 PM

Wot he said!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2014, 08:43 PM

My new computer has a Solid State Drive (SSD) in it. Worth mentioning (just in case anyone has one) is that a SSD shouldn't be defragged. It can shorten the life of it:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001064.htm
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

02-07-2014, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
My new computer has a Solid State Drive (SSD) in it. Worth mentioning (just in case anyone has one) is that a SSD shouldn't be defragged. It can shorten the life of it:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001064.htm
Yes, Mart, that is something I know.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2014, 04:48 AM

I think you will find the defrag program will tell you if it needs doing on a particular hard drive.

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System tools > Disk Defragmenter
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2014, 05:20 AM

...and another thing

After reading this thread I thought I must check my computer to see if it needs defraging because it has several hard drives and is a few years old.

I was quite surprised to find all the drives were 0% fragmented because I have the defragmenter scheduled to check them every Wednesday at 1am. I don't even remember setting it up but that would be the way to go (though weekly is a bit of overkill - once a month would be more than enough)

My computer is not always left on overnight but very often is hence it is pretty up to date with its defrag program.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

03-07-2014, 09:19 AM

Thanks for the reminder Bruce, I'll check mine, but it's not on all the time. I use this iPad more often than the other computers, but it is worth knowing about. Probably worth it if people are using their computers constantly, wherein it could be needed more often.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2014, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I think you will find the defrag program will tell you if it needs doing on a particular hard drive.

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System tools > Disk Defragmenter

Aha. Found it where you said Bruce, and mine was set for weekly defrag too. I didn't realise that. At least I know how to find it now.
Thanks very much for the help - And Jazzi and Ania.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top