Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2014, 10:48 PM

Computer Maintenance

Where can I find a guide to maintaining my computer - e.g. using c/cleaner correctly, or doing anything else to keep it running as fast as always and getting rid of unused programs. Would prefer something written for novices!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 12:11 AM

Re: Computer Maintenance

Google computer maintenance but frankly there isn't much to it:

Keep your operating system updated
Keep your virus scanner updated
Make sure Firewall is turned on
Run Malwarebytes regularly
Run CCleaner regularly
Be careful what you install and...
Be careful to read each screen when you install something you downloaded
Defrag occasionally
Clean/dedust your desktop box insides occasionally (though if you are not good with electrical stuff perhaps not)
Uninstall programs you don't use (follow up with Ccleaner)
Empty your recycle bin

Can't think of anything else at the moment. As for the programs like Ccleaner just run them and follow the prompts they are pretty self explanatory.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 07:21 AM

Good sound advice, and what I would recommend.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 07:49 AM

Thanks for that, I'll try and follow but am using Windows XP (updates have been disabled) and really need to keep this computer going for the next few years for work.
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 08:03 AM

Lindy - In the IT world, there are two types of hard-drive.
(1) The broken ones.
(2) The ones that are heading for a breakdown.

It is important that you make a mirror-image of your hard-drive BEFORE it breaks down.
We never expect it will happen to us, but just about everybody who uses a PC or Laptop has had it happen to them.

How do you make a mirror-image?
Ask a friend who knows to come and sit down with you, and explain how you can do it for yourself. Youngsters these days are usually very good at doing this sort of thing.

You mention that you 'work' on your PC. This sounds like you are an author, or perhaps a family historian. Perhaps you have lots of important photographs.
Whatever it is, it is obviously very important to you.
BACK-UP YOUR DATA.
... and REGULARLY...

I am a hypocrite.
I keep promising myself that I will do it 'tomorrow'.
... I never actually do it.
...... If I told you the number of times I have lost valuable data....

Don't be like me - BACK-UP TODAY...

Good luck...
Lindyloo
isle of wight

04-07-2014, 08:29 AM

Thanks for that. Yes I have an external hard drive and back up everything to that. I'll set aside some time and work through the list given.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 12:03 PM

I keep saying this but I really think this is where the BBC should provide a public service for once and have a program dedicated to this very thing. I bet hundreds of people buy new computers because they just don't know how to do things or they don't understand the lingo and think their computers are broken.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 12:54 PM

I have a personal website on which I offer secretarial services and/or basic computer tuition. I need to promote it more but what with one thing or another, I haven't bothered.

There are obviously loads of people out there who could do with help and advice. I realised I enjoyed helping out on the computer courses at the library (still no word from anybody as to what's happening now) and have always helped my friend, and my mum.

I WILL get round to it...one day.
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2014, 09:45 AM

I've been using Linux for some years now, and it's so refreshing not to have to 'fix' my computer every so often as I did using Windows. This ancient desk-top runs like clockwork, with just the occasional forced use of XP to run the odd program that won't work on Linux. But for internet activity and basic word processing etc. Linux just can't be beaten. The latest O.S.s available are quite user friendly these days, so can be operated by anyone who wants to try something different. My missus uses Linux, and she hates computers!
Best of all - some are absolutely free - how good is that....?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2014, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by 2wheeler ->
- how good is that....?
Fairly good and I do use Linux sometimes. Great for writing letters, sending e-mails and using the Internet. Unfortunately, it doesn't run some of the programs I use. These being the CorelDraw Graphics Suite, Xara Photo & Graphics Designer, MediaMonkey and Serif DrawPlus. I know that there are equivalent programs such as Gimp, InkScape and a number of media players but to me, they don't have the 'polish' that the Windows programs have in presentation and usage. I think this applies to other programs I've tried over the years but I can't name any.

I have a spare computer on which I'm going to try various Linux distributions come the winter months. It'll keep me occupied. Maybe I'll change my mind about Linux not being as good as Windows at the end of the season of dark evenings but right now, I'll be sticking with Windows 8.1.1 and maintaining it as necessary. A personal thing but I just think it's better than Linux.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top