Join for free
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2010, 06:30 PM

Parrot query

Just visited an old friend with a grey parrot called Ollie. He is fifteen years old and out of the blue laid nine hollow eggs earlier on this year about every ten days. Never did it before and now she knows 'he' is a she! How could something like this happen?
Mary
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2010, 07:22 PM

Re: Parrot query

Sounds really odd that Maryl! I have no idea how it could happen tho - sorry.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2010, 09:37 PM

Sorry Mary-don't know the first thing about Parrots. Hope your friend gets an answer.......
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2010, 10:01 PM

Some birds take years to lay. The parrot will after all this time consider the lady to be her 'partner'. Once the birds come into condition (sexually) and feel comfortable with their pairing eggs can arrive. Its often a pretty straightforward process but depending on the method the parrots been reared with itself it can change its perception of the norm. The condition comes in and theres eggs.
We see this sometimes in out falconry birds too Nothing abnormal just nature.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2010, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
Just visited an old friend with a grey parrot called Ollie. He is fifteen years old and out of the blue laid nine hollow eggs earlier on this year about every ten days. Never did it before and now she knows 'he' is a she! How could something like this happen?
Mary
I bet Ollie was as sick as a Football Manager.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2010, 08:40 AM

It is difficult to know the sex of a parrot unless a feather is removed and the DNA taken, or it can be done surgically.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2010, 10:38 AM

Thanks all of you. That's shed a bit of light. Olllie was first owned my my friends uncle, which went almost everywhere with him inside his beret so the story goes. When the uncle died my friend's mother inherited it and now she's gone, passed onto my mate. So, maybe Ollie feels settled now with my mate as 'his' partner. Well I never ..........
Mary

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top