Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 11:53 AM

I Need Some Reasonably Priced Compost To Fill My 1.8 Trug.

Last year, l bought a Trug to grow stuff in it. What l forgot was that this needed to be filled with a whole lot of compost.
I read l will need 7 x 60litres of Compost to fill it.
I wonder if anyone knows where the best place is, to purchase it from, at a reasonable price?

Thank You if you can advise me.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 12:07 PM

Re: I Need Some Reasonably Priced Compost To Fill My 1.8 Trug.

I put all last years pot compost and some soil in the bottom of big containers before topping up with new. That what I will do with my new raised planters. With some stones or gravel and broken pots in the bottom for drainage
I get mine delivered from local builders merchants CRS, not sure if they have branches country - wide. There may be similar outlets near you Art.
If not B&Q, BM and Home Bargains usually have large bags, B&Q usually have offers for 3 bags.
Let us know how you get on!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I put all last years pot compost and some soil in the bottom of big containers before topping up with new. That what I will do with my new raised planters. With some stones or gravel and broken pots in the bottom for drainage
I get mine delivered from local builders merchants CRS, not sure if they have branches country - wide. There may be similar outlets near you Art.
If not B&Q, BM and Home Bargains usually have large bags, B&Q usually have offers for 3 bags.
Tessa, What great advice. Thank You.

I hadn’t thought of filling it with gravel and stones at the bottom. I do have a few bags of that. I also have a bit of old Compost that l grew tomatoes in last year.
I have looked up CRS but they are mostly down your way.
It seemed a great idea to get a Trug but l never thought about how much soil, l’d need to fill it!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 01:03 PM

Hi Art I use B&Q Verve compost which came top in a Which review some years ago and is often on offer...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Art I use B&Q Verve compost which came top in a Which review some years ago and is often on offer...

I bought some Verve ericaceous just yesterday Meg.
I usually get on with it alright too.

Art, I'd give B & Q a ring, or pop in a local branch, and ask about delivery charges. That's a lot fo compost to load in your car and carry about otherwise.

P.S. Just found this for you. It explains about delivery:

https://www.diy.com/customer-support/delivery
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

14-03-2020, 10:22 PM

Meg and Mups, Thank You for your recommendation of the B&Q Verve Compost.

It sounds good stuff. I will have to ring them to inquire about delivery as they are not that close to me.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I was thinking of B&Q too. they often have deals. Also, some recycling centres sell compost.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2020, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I was thinking of B&Q too. they often have deals. Also, some recycling centres sell compost.
We made that mistake for the flower borders at our apartment block. 5x100kg bags which we thought was a fantastic bargain but, we were pulling weeds out as fast as we could within a couple of weeks of putting the compost down. Never again. It turned out they didn't follow the correct procedure in making the compost so the weed seeds weren't being killed.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2020, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
We made that mistake for the flower borders at our apartment block. 5x100kg bags which we thought was a fantastic bargain but, we were pulling weeds out as fast as we could within a couple of weeks of putting the compost down. Never again. It turned out they didn't follow the correct procedure in making the compost so the weed seeds weren't being killed.

I aagree Percy.
Some I had had more lumps of plastic in it that soil too.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2020, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Ah yes, there is that. It is supposed to be screened but maybe they don't bother.

Scrap that idea.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top