Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 10:33 PM

Re: Australian Fires

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
It's ironic that while Australia is on fire we have the South Island cut in half by floods and washed out roads after record rainfall. Always pleased to see our firefighters helping . Aussie teams were one of the first help after the Christchurch quake.
Don't worry we have our own weather anomalies. This was a report about the 2nd December 2019:

While large parts of the country have been baking or battling bushfire, Thredbo in New South Wales recorded Australia's lowest maximum summer temperature on record.

On Monday, the second day of summer, the temperature only reached -1 degrees Celsius at the Thredbo weather station, the coldest maximum temperature recorded anywhere in Australia during summer.

The previous record was -0.8C, recorded at Mount Buller in Victoria on Christmas Day 2006.

The cold patch this week resulted in big snowfalls for large parts of the alpine region and was the result of westerly winds bringing cold air from Antarctica

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-...redbo/11774908

As an aside - the Princes Highway has just re-opened after being closed because of the Currowan fire. There are speed restrictions as low as 40kph but at least it is open. However the Kings Highway between Canberra and Bateman's Bay is still closed.
Isa49
New Zealand
Isa49 is female  Isa49 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2019, 08:34 PM

I woke this morning wondering what has happened to the people in Victoria standing in waist deep water (sea) to protect themselves from the fires that are raging.
I have heard 2 more have died.
I listened to the Aussie Premier last night, I can see how he managed to go on holiday while his country was burning, no conscience, that guy should be dumped from office, talk about a non event,
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 08:06 PM

What can he do ?
He’s not a fireman.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
What can he do ?
He’s not a fireman.
He should be showing support to the residents who have been burnt out and the unpaid volunteers who are risking their lives to fight the infernos. He should be organising schemes to assist and compensate everyone for lives lost, injuries sustained and property and businesses that have been razed to the ground. He should be seen making appeals to other countries for help and should be working his ass off and be actively in charge of the country he is paid to lead. He SHOULD be, but instead he buggers off on a holiday.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
He should be showing support to the residents who have been burnt out and the unpaid volunteers who are risking their lives to fight the infernos. He should be making appeals to other countries for help and should be seen to be actively in charge of the country he is paid to lead. He SHOULD be, but instead he buggers off on a holiday.

Tachyon, l agree he should be doing something.
Through no fault of their own these people have lost their homes and everything in them.
What are they to do, without help? At the moment, they are totally banjaxed.
Isa49
New Zealand
Isa49 is female  Isa49 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 10:00 PM

He should be showing support to the residents who have been burnt out and the unpaid volunteers who are risking their lives to fight the infernos. He should be organising schemes to assist and compensate everyone for lives lost, injuries sustained and property and businesses that have been razed to the ground. He should be seen making appeals to other countries for help and should be working his ass off and be actively in charge of the country he is paid to lead. He SHOULD be, but instead he buggers off on a holiday.
Well said, listening to him yesterday, seems to me he's out of his depth.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Isa49 ->
Well said, listening to him yesterday, seems to me he's out of his depth.
I dont think he's the only one out of his depth Isa?
Looks like the low level dead stuff on the ground has been allowed
to gather for too long and now there's too much fuel to burn now
that the fires have started!
Have laws concerning landowners using ground level burning been
changed in the last 20yrs say? With the current high temperatures
also playing a big part?
Just my thoughts, l dont wish to intrude?
Regards Donkeyman!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 10:31 PM

The Prime Minister was heckled when he went to the town of Cobargo yesterday. Cobargo was badly damaged in the fires and two lives were lost there.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has been confronted by angry residents in the bushfire-hit town of Cobargo in New South Wales.

Two people died near the Bega Valley town when it was hit by a raging bushfire early on New Year's Eve.

Visiting the town on Thursday to meet emergency services workers and offer his support to bushfire victims, the PM found himself confronted by a group of angry locals.

One person told Mr Morrison he should be "ashamed of himself" and said he had "left the country to burn".

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-...fires/11837358

Extremely pedantic:

The political leader of a State government is called a Premier, the leader of the Federal Government is a Prime Minister. Sorry, it's not important but I can't help myself.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2020, 02:49 AM

How do you compensate for lives lost ?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

03-01-2020, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I dont think he's the only one out of his depth Isa?
Looks like the low level dead stuff on the ground has been allowed
to gather for too long and now there's too much fuel to burn now
that the fires have started!
Have laws concerning landowners using ground level burning been
changed in the last 20yrs say? With the current high temperatures
also playing a big part?
Just my thoughts, l dont wish to intrude?
Regards Donkeyman!

Donkeyman this is an unprecedented natural disaster .
High temperatures combined with high winds .
The Australians AFAIK have very strict fire prevention laws in place .
They have not worked in this case.
It terrible the lose of life does not bear thinking about .

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top