Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2020, 12:03 AM

sitting at a buddhist priests meal?. we did

let me tell you a story as Max Bygraves would say.

When Sue worked for a building company, in the offices one of the staff came from Thailand and was fairly high up in their country. her Father was the ambassador working overseas, at the time in England. Now "Prim" shortened from "primpribumaratapan" or that is as close as I can spell it hence just Prim. Here to improve her English and eventually married her boss Ray, a friend of ours as well

At the time the Buddhist Temple the head Temple for all of Europe was just been located in Wimbledon and only just opened up.

Now Prims it was her place of worship invited Sue and I to the opening ceremony and sit down meal with them.

So knowing nothing about the religion or about food Sue and I sat down with about 15 monks for a meal.

Well in came the food with the most beautiful ladies, seems they came down from the Thai embassy especially for this event. Didn't know where to look, at the food - monks-prim or the ladies.

Well we thought know they don't eat much but I have to say the amount was erm small , so we tucked in to be polite you understand.

Big Big mistake.

15 to 18+ courses later we we really struggling to eat any more, but being polite etc, the food just kept coming and coming, finish one plate an it was filled up with the next course.
Boy can those Monks put food away ,now I know why the Buddha is shown as rotund.

It sure was an experience i won't forget, even the chanting afterward was amazing
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2020, 05:42 AM

Re: sitting at a buddhist priests meal?. we did

Fabulous. I gosh, I had the same experience when we were invited to the home of a kind Russian family years ago. While we were expecting no more than tea, I think they spent their entire monthly food budget on that one meal.

Was the entire meal vegetarian? Anything in particularly you especially enjoyed?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2020, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Fabulous. I gosh, I had the same experience when we were invited to the home of a kind Russian family years ago. While we were expecting no more than tea, I think they spent their entire monthly food budget on that one meal.

Was the entire meal vegetarian? Anything in particularly you especially enjoyed?
Thai food is something else and it is too long ago to remember what we actually had. The whole experience was just amazing. The Monks blessed our son and tied a string made of whatever around his wrists for good luck and told he had to wear it until it fell off
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2020, 09:44 PM

RS many years ago I backpacked to Thailand with a Male friend . We went to stay in a monastery just outside Bangkok. Spending time with the monks was interesting . They ate first thing and would eat from large washing up bowls masses of food . Anything left was then given to guests then anything left given to villagers . The food the monks consumed was huge in one go too . I was given a blessing and a sacha ( think its spelt right) my own mantra and a special name . My mantra was written down I wore it by my heart for 1 week then I ate it . I've never forgotten my blessing as the monks chanted me into the temple. I too wore a bracelet made until it fell off months later .

A very spiritual experience .

Thanks for reminding me
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2020, 11:32 PM

I had Thai Chicken last night, it came back to haunt me today at 2.30pm, a secondary Bath was necessary.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2020, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I had Thai Chicken last night, it came back to haunt me today at 2.30pm, a secondary Bath was necessary.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

13-01-2020, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
what you are really trying to say is the chicken had you.

must have been a chuck chuck up chicken
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2020, 05:09 AM

Susan, what a wonderful experience! Have you hiked many places?
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2020, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Susan, what a wonderful experience! Have you hiked many places?

That was the one and only time i backpacked . I wanted adventure and boy did i get one . A month travelling Thailand on a minimum budget . Oh blimy the things that happened still remind me never to do it again !

I like my comfort now

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top