Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2020, 04:54 PM

Re: So Old That All My Favorites are Disappearing

I don't miss my six mile cycle ride to school. Nor the six miles back home.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2020, 04:57 PM

Oh don't get me started ... I'm getting cantankerous enough these days without encouragement.
fuzzy finker
Kent, UK
fuzzy finker is male  fuzzy finker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2020, 05:44 PM

So many things not the same these days, most I've adapted to, but I still miss the pease pudding and faggot man who used to come round once a week - my parents always dived out with a bowl for our Monday dinner...
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2020, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
Depends on how old you are. What do I miss? The stop me and buy one man, The baker, bread man and grocery man coming to your door. Singers like the great and late. Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Dinah Shore, Gracie Fields, Frankie Lane. Comedians like Will Hay, Tommy Handley, Norman Evans, Sandy Powell. Being able to play as kids in the roads without having to dodge traffic.
There you are, That tells you how old I am.
By Jimmini Big Ben you are ancient
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2020, 10:07 PM

What I miss (Not) is walking 30yrds down the road to go to the toilet (where we lived it didn't have a toilet) and going prepared with a candle matches and a Daily Mirror...oh Christ the good old days
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2020, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Stepping off a moving bus was when most mishaps happened. Backwards was the way to do it.
With a roll of stolen suit material wrapped around you, under your coat aka my Grandfather.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2020, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
It seems I'm not just mourning friends who are moving on, but more and more my favorite restaurants, shops, and food items are disappearing.

Today it was my favorite brand of chai that I've been drinking every morning for the last 237 years. I am not sure how I am going to function . I am nothing, if not a morning robot who functions with my brain only partly engaged.

The worst thing was that I just stood there at the shelf in the grocery store, staring, disbelieving.

That's stage one in grief. Good thing I got out of there before stage two (anger) set in....

Oh well. Soon enough I won't be on the shelf either!
Have you tried online surfermom? Ebay? Amazon etc. If you find some, buy the whole lot.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2020, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
It seems I'm not just mourning friends who are moving on, but more and more my favorite restaurants, shops, and food items are disappearing.

Today it was my favorite brand of chai that I've been drinking every morning for the last 237 years. I am not sure how I am going to function . I am nothing, if not a morning robot who functions with my brain only partly engaged.

The worst thing was that I just stood there at the shelf in the grocery store, staring, disbelieving.

That's stage one in grief. Good thing I got out of there before stage two (anger) set in....

Oh well. Soon enough I won't be on the shelf either!
I make my own chai, it is easy enough to do with plenty of recipes on line and you can vary the ingredients to suit your own taste. BTW I hope you used a proper teapot and leaves not those new fangled teabag things (they just fill you up with plastic and make a crap cup of tea).

The only restaurant closure I was worried about was a local Chinese place that was here when I arrived 40 years ago and which closed a couple of years ago when the couple retired. I was distraught, where was I going to get my $7 Sweet and Sour or BBQ Pork lunch? I am still in rehabilitation.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2020, 05:44 AM

Day one. I roamed around the kitchen with bed hair, glassy-eyed unsure what to do. What was I to drink? What was my empty hand supposed to cling to? I walked into the pantry, stared into the fridge, and then walked in circles in the middle of the kitchen muttering about the injustices of life.

Better than starting with beer, right?

Yes, yes, I am one of twelve Americans with a proper teapot and now it's sitting on the counter with its hands on its hips, staring at me and thinking, "Now what are you going to do?"

So, I am off to the market (there isn't a tea shop within 200 miles of here) to see what's what. I will report back. I'd Amazon it, but it's outrageously expensive....

I hope I can make it to day two.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2020, 05:51 AM

My BH has a thing about tea bags now.Bad for us and bad for the environment apparently.I'm drinking loose tea again after decades of convenience.We can't find a tea pot she likes so we are having to faff about with little tea holder things for each cup.I'm drinking a lot less tea these days.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top