Join for free
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2020, 12:49 PM

Darkest hour

I have just finished watching Darkest Hour starring Gary Oldman as Winston Churchill during May of 1940. What a remarkable bit of film making. Oldman was absolutely fantastic as PM Churchill.

In the film, newly appointed PM Churchill is not only beset by the overwhelming pressure to evacuate the entire British Army from Dunkirk, but he is also is forced to face the hatred of ex-PM Chamberlain and Viscount Halifax and half of Parliament who wanted to throw in the white towel and give in to Hitler's demands. The tremendous pressure on PM Churchill would have broken any lessor man.

Oh, how I wish that the film could have continued throughout the entirety of WW2. I strongly recommend this film for any and all.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2020, 01:06 PM

Re: Darkest hour

Yes, I agree Bakerman, we went to see it at the cinema and really enjoyed it. I wonder if Boris can reprise the role and get us out of the EU despite all of the attempts to stop him.
Makes you wonder what would have happened if instead of Churchill, some lesser man was at the helm and had capitulated to Hitler.....
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2020, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Yes, I agree Bakerman, we went to see it at the cinema and really enjoyed it. I wonder if Boris can reprise the role and get us out of the EU despite all of the attempts to stop him.
Makes you wonder what would have happened if instead of Churchill, some lesser man was at the helm and had capitulated to Hitler.....
Maybe if we could prise Solasch out of the Brexit forum he could put a positive spin on it.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2020, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
If such as Chamberlain or Halifax, or any of their fellow travelers had been in power, I shudder to think what might have happened.

Such a wasted opportunity. Just before Hitler gave orders to remilitarize the Rhineland (1936), he told his generals that if there was any military resistance, they were to withdraw immediately. At that time, the French Armies could have easily forced the German army to retreat and WW2, in Europe, would likely never have happened.

Passivism has it's place but not when confronted by tyranny or terrorism, for it only emboldens the enemy. That is something I wish pacifists of today could understand.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2020, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
If such as Chamberlain or Halifax, or any of their fellow travelers had been in power, I shudder to think what might have happened.

Such a wasted opportunity. Just before Hitler gave orders to remilitarize the Rhineland (1936), he told his generals that if there was any military resistance, they were to withdraw immediately. At that time, the French Armies could have easily forced the German army to retreat and WW2, in Europe, would likely never have happened.

Passivism has it's place but not when confronted by tyranny or terrorism, for it only emboldens the enemy. That is something I wish pacifists of today could understand.
Think you are so right on that.

And thank God Churchill took over before the Battle of Britain started.

Chamberlain was a scum bag "Peace in are time"

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top