Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2020, 01:48 PM

strange happenings

Whenever I turn my computer on I get the message "You are not connected to the internet" I then get the message "An ethernet cable is not plugged in or is faulty"
The strange thing is that I am on the internet and the forum or e mail page appears in the background. I close the 'warning' message and find things as per normal. Why would this keep coming up when I turn the computer on.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2020, 02:02 PM

Re: strange happenings

Originally Posted by big ben ->
Whenever I turn my computer on I get the message "You are not connected to the internet" I then get the message "An ethernet cable is not plugged in or is faulty"
The strange thing is that I am on the internet and the forum or e mail page appears in the background. I close the 'warning' message and find things as per normal. Why would this keep coming up when I turn the computer on.
Without knowing what system you are using, I can only guess that there is a start up program which is trying to get access to the internet before the internet has had time to get fully fired up.

Or maybe your router/modem is dodgy.

Possibly antivirus package?

Try looking at your start up items, using Ccleaner/tools, and see what's there.

Also go to the provider's web site and see if they are admitting problems in your area.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2020, 02:50 PM

I hope you don't mind me highjacking your thread, BB, and I hope that Tedc has helped solve your query.

I too experienced a tech difficulty this morning -

Having already printed off an item from my laptop, I then tried to scan a document onto the laptop only to be advised that there was not a PC connected to the printer.

Can anyone help, please?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2020, 03:04 PM

Me too thought it was my computer, kept loosing intermet connection
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2020, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->
I hope you don't mind me highjacking your thread, BB, and I hope that Tedc has helped solve your query.

I too experienced a tech difficulty this morning -

Having already printed off an item from my laptop, I then tried to scan a document onto the laptop only to be advised that there was not a PC connected to the printer.

Can anyone help, please?
Hello LT!

Are you on W10?

If so, go into settings/Printers & Scanners/ and see what's listed.

Your printer should be listed, but is the scanner feature set up?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

26-01-2020, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Suggest get online and see if the supplier is having internet problems?
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2020, 07:32 PM

Tedc.
I have installed C Cleaner and used it and I am having no problems now. Could that have been the answer? In any case Many thanks for all help.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

26-01-2020, 09:00 PM

Tedc.
I have installed C Cleaner and used it and I am having no problems now. Could that have been the answer? In any case Many thanks for all help.
Very likely, as Ccleaner gets rid of corrupted software, etc.

It's worth using it, monthly, to clear out unwanted rubbish.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2020, 09:35 PM

you can check using " speed test by ookla"
i connected to an Eastbourne server and had a download speed of about 9mbps. Connected to a london server and it was 35mbps download speed. So around here it looks like a local service problem
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2020, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->

Mine was doing it to, so I called out the man & he fixed it for me. He's a lovely man.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top