Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2020, 05:24 AM

So Old That All My Favorites are Disappearing

It seems I'm not just mourning friends who are moving on, but more and more my favorite restaurants, shops, and food items are disappearing.

Today it was my favorite brand of chai that I've been drinking every morning for the last 237 years. I am not sure how I am going to function . I am nothing, if not a morning robot who functions with my brain only partly engaged.

The worst thing was that I just stood there at the shelf in the grocery store, staring, disbelieving.

That's stage one in grief. Good thing I got out of there before stage two (anger) set in....

Oh well. Soon enough I won't be on the shelf either!
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2020, 06:54 AM

Re: So Old That All My Favorites are Disappearing

If you are really old they sometimes come back but smaller and with a different taste.
Have you tried beer in the mornings?That would certainly keep me on the go.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2020, 10:45 AM

Depends on how old you are. What do I miss? The stop me and buy one man, The baker, bread man and grocery man coming to your door. Singers like the great and late. Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Dinah Shore, Gracie Fields, Frankie Lane. Comedians like Will Hay, Tommy Handley, Norman Evans, Sandy Powell. Being able to play as kids in the roads without having to dodge traffic.
There you are, That tells you how old I am.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2020, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
Depends on how old you are. What do I miss? The stop me and buy one man, The baker, bread man and grocery man coming to your door. Singers like the great and late. Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Dinah Shore, Gracie Fields, Frankie Lane. Comedians like Will Hay, Tommy Handley, Norman Evans, Sandy Powell. Being able to play as kids in the roads without having to dodge traffic.
There you are, That tells you how old I am.
I remember most of those as well.
The worst thing here, is seeing all the farm fields turned into housing estates. We once had green fields to two sides of my house, not any more & being at the top of a hill those housing estates really do stand out.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2020, 12:41 PM

What I miss are silly things like the mainly cheerful bus conductors we had on the old Routemaster buses. Guaranteed they would put me in a good mood in the mornings listening to them whistling a well known tune and a greeting of ‘ Morning Luvvie!’’(definitely a PC no, no these days).

The smell of that old killer, Coal. belching out of chimneys and trains. Also the lovely smell of petrol fumes as one walked past petrol pumps at garages that were back then situated in premises on the actual high street rather than on forecourts nowaday.

Watching racist and completely un-PC television comedies, which were guaranteed to actually make one laugh out loud, unlike the drivel that passes for comedy nowaday.

Proper working-class MP’s!! Working people usually first cut their teeth by becoming union reps, then onwards to a political career. Nowadays, it s.eems to be private education, University, a Law degree, and floated into a safe seat without any knowledge of what working for a living means

Affordable home ownership for our youngsters. Unless born with a silver spoon in their mouths or Mum and Dad can afford the eye-watering deposits required nowadays, they will never experience the joy of being offered a first time mortgage, nor the excitement of turning that key in the door to that property for the very first time, Forget the fact that we foolishly assumed we already owned it and which we proudly declared on every form we filled in, Who can forget those two questions. ‘’Home Owner or Renter?’’ (even though most of us could only afford it with a 100% mortgage and we would spend the next 25 years paying for it).

Jobs galore! The old Labour Exchange buildings where one could stroll in, tell the clerk what you were experienced in, or even good at, they would flick through their Rolodex, find the job that you were interested in, ring the business concerned there and then,, get you an immediate interview either that day or the following, The boss of that business would ask you when you could start, (usually a week’s notice) and you sailed into a new job without any trouble. My grandkids still don’t believe me!

And finally, proper sweet shops on every corner, sweets of every colour in hundreds of jars on shelves.

Can’t think of anything else but sure there are many more.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2020, 12:43 PM

Look on the bright side Surfermom, there must be lots of new foods, products on the shelves that didn't used to be there. And what about making your own chai ... might be fun.

I've started on Tetley Tea, one bag does two cup, no milk no sugar just a little honey.

d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2020, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
What I miss are silly things like the mainly cheerful bus conductors we had on the old Routemaster buses. Guaranteed they would put me in a good mood in the mornings listening to them whistling a well known tune and a greeting of ‘ Morning Luvvie!’’(definitely a PC no, no these days).
"hold tight" Ding Ding
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2020, 01:31 PM

Ding Dong indeed! Many a time I ran for the bus as it moved away, taking my life in my hands and managing to just grab hold of the steel pole in place on the platform. Many times once I had grabbed hold of the pole and the bus was moving away too fast to change my mind, it was only fate that decided whether I had safely made it or fell backwards onto the road!
I had no fear in those heady days!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

13-01-2020, 01:48 PM

Stepping off a moving bus was when most mishaps happened. Backwards was the way to do it.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2020, 04:51 PM

Trolley buses. These were the next best thing to trams so why on earth did they do away with them?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top