Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2017, 08:40 PM

Re: NHS overspends on basic painkillers

I've dug around and the recent news report is focused on huge increases in generic cancer drugs. This isn't just a problem in the UK, it's about drug companies trying to limit supply unless healthcare organisations pay what they want. It's holding healthcare to ransom. Pfizer and Flynn pharma were recently fined Ģ84m for conspiring to rip the NHS off on epilepsy meds. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38233852
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2017, 10:30 PM

Truth be told, something really stinks here within the NHS.
Sorry if I seem to sound like a broken record and repeating myself but.......

Yes, the greedy Pharmaceutical companies should hang their heads in shame for plundering precious NHS money, but what on earth is going on with these Health Managers? They are in charge of such an immensely powerful purchasing position with the largest tax-funded organisation in the country, if not Europe. Why are these top men receiving fat-cat salaries for such incompetence? Surely a time for Purchasing to be taken into private hands?

It is a real scandal that they have allowed themselves to be in a position where they have allowed private companies to dictate and demand exorbitant prices for these tablets as if the NHS has a bottomless wallet.

It's no wonder many many of us raise eyebrows when we are forever hearing them then pleading for more money from the government.

Instead of laying the law down with these lazy scroats in charge, we now learn that Jeremy Hunt has kicked into the long grass, hey ho, the idea that all Hospital trusts must ensure those not entitled to use of the NHS paying for their treatments. Apparently, it is because they are too busy concentrating on Brexit at the moment. MMmmmm!!
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2017, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I get antihistamines 300 at a time from my GP, I pay for a prepayment card so don't pay for each individual prescription but when I enquired about the same brand off prescription I could only have 30 at a time and they are Ģ7.99 a pack. Yes I could afford them but I am not really willing to go to the chemist twice a month to buy the amount I need.

Same with pain killers I take 8 a day I'd be in the chemist every other day to get my dosage whereas I get 200 at a time on prescription.
Same here Julie
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2017, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->

It is a real scandal that they have allowed themselves to be in a position where they have allowed private companies to dictate and demand exorbitant prices for these tablets as if the NHS has a bottomless wallet.
The Italians fined Aspen Five million Euros for holding their health service to ransom over anti cancer drugs for the same reasons. They were threatening to withdraw supplies of much needed medication for very vulnerable patients. Here the NHS paid the inflated tariff because there doesn't seem to be a proper process to address such hikes.

In part this is down to the countless reorganisations and lack of expertise within organisations. A healthcare provider's main concern is to ensure vital cancer drugs are available to patients at all times rather than analyse market prices over a longer period and then haggle.

They have to ensure the drugs being given to patients are from a safe source, meet industry standards and come from a reliable supplier.

The suppliers have them over a barrel because there is no proper procedure to hold suppliers to account about their pricing practices. I suspect that in many cases there are only one or two companies supplying and that these are very large companies.

It's something the government needs to address directly with the pharmaceutical firms. According to reports the department of Health is drafting new legislation to put a system in place so rogue companies can be fined more easily.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2017, 08:44 AM

Hi

Well in excess of a million EU Nationals here in the UK.

Charge them, they charge us.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2017, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
It's a mystery to me too.
I thought they'd stopped selling Paracetamol in large packs years ago to deter suicide attempts... so can't imagine a doctor prescribing them in 100's.
It is all a con! I remember when you got a prescription for drugs that you couldn't buy over the counter... if somebody really wanted to commit suicide they could visit several shops and buy enough paracetamol to kill them!
Pharmaceutical companies are businesses that have every intention of making as high profits as possible... they are in it for the money!
Doctors are being told that they must decrease the money spent on medicines, and the time they spend with patients.... to reduce the expenditure of the NHS. When patients have a minor illness it is easier for the doctor to prescribe a large number of paracetamol to get rid of the patient quickly.....I wonder what would happen if that patient then went home and took all of them, to end it all, whose fault would it be then?
I am currently taking 6-8 a day to keep my temperature down, as I have a bad cold. This could continue for several days, but I don't need a prescription because I often buy them for minor pains... and then the nearly full box slips to the bottom of my first aid kit , and I forget it is there!
Painkillers are never a cure, they are just a way of helping the patient feel more comfortable!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2017, 09:49 AM

When there is no cure sometimes all we can hope for is to feel more comfortable. Just had tramadol added to my mix to try and achieve that state.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2017, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Well in excess of a million EU Nationals here in the UK.

Charge them, they charge us.
Surely Spain canīt be the only EU country that has a reciprocal agreement with UK regarding health care. Some EU nationals in the UK will have paid into a health care system in their own countries, not all obviously, but many. It isnīt all black and white, they are some grey areas.

Here the foreigners who are not entitled to "free" healthcare, i.e. not pensionable age, can pay into the system monthly for themselves and their families, or of course take out private insurance, which can be very expensive.

If you donīt have the correct documentation, SIP card (national health card) or the EHIC card, you will not be treated at any public health doctors or hospital. Going into hospital these days you must also take your passport as well as your SIP card to be registered when checking in.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2017, 10:05 AM

Hi

We have reciprocal agreements with all EU Countries.

I have Polish friends, they live in the UK and some come from time to time.

They think we are mad.

I agree.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2017, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
When there is no cure sometimes all we can hope for is to feel more comfortable. Just had tramadol added to my mix to try and achieve that state.
Srange you mention Tramadol Julia, just questioned my GP about my condition after some research, I asked about Tramadol and Amitipyliine, and she said the first is too strong but i got the latter.

I get both Asprin and Paracetamol as part of my prescription, when i said i would buy them they dont like it , also being asked to do self blood tests again i used to by the test strips myself again they do not like it.

Leaves me wondering how much these are nice little earners for the NHS.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top