Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2014, 05:17 PM

H&S Course

I'm a bit annoyed as my employer has organised for me to go for a one-day H&S Course but with several other people.

I got conned into another course a few months ago and for me it was a waste of time as instead of "just two other people" as I was told it was 5 other people and I just could not follow anything.

I told my boss this morning that as I'm profoundly deaf - officially - I really need one-on-one training but he didn't reply so I assume he expects me to acquiesce again.

Where I work IMHO they're going completely over-the-top on H&S and in some cases it's plain daft!

They've already got me to put on what is getting on for bio-hazard standard protective gear just to spray weeds so I'm dreading what they'll come up with next.

They've bought me steel toecap wellies already, for use with lawnmowers I'm told.

The ride-on mower and the powered walk-along mower both have automatic safety cut-outs if you get off / release the safety bar so why I need flippin' great steel toecap wellies Gawd knows! stevmk2
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2014, 05:27 PM

Re: H&S Course

The thing with all the safety gear Steve is they are covering their backs if you was to run over your foot and sever a toe , there would be a big pay out for them ,..if you dont wear the steel cap wellies and you injure yourself. Then it would be your fault .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2014, 06:12 PM

Steve sometimes various courses are insisted on by insurance companies. It may seem a nuisance but it is in your own interest .
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2014, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Steve sometimes various courses are insisted on by insurance companies. It may seem a nuisance but it is in your own interest .
I agree.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2014, 07:39 PM

Yes, it's happening everywhere H&S, knowledge of chemicals and machinery use - we'll soon all be wearing steel toecaps, fluorescent vests and goggles just to walk down a corridor at work!!

As Meg says, probably insurance related.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2014, 07:40 PM

It is a huge onus on employers as well as expense these days, to both train staff in H&S and to provide protective clothing for them, but for the employee surely it can only be to the good?

I understand your reticence however with your hearing disability, but you would think common sense would dictate that a prior word with the instructor on the course to make themselves particularly clear to you could make the difference?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2014, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I'm a bit annoyed as my employer has organised for me to go for a one-day H&S Course but with several other people.

I got conned into another course a few months ago and for me it was a waste of time as instead of "just two other people" as I was told it was 5 other people and I just could not follow anything.

I told my boss this morning that as I'm profoundly deaf - officially - I really need one-on-one training but he didn't reply so I assume he expects me to acquiesce again.

Where I work IMHO they're going completely over-the-top on H&S and in some cases it's plain daft!

They've already got me to put on what is getting on for bio-hazard standard protective gear just to spray weeds so I'm dreading what they'll come up with next.

They've bought me steel toecap wellies already, for use with lawnmowers I'm told.

The ride-on mower and the powered walk-along mower both have automatic safety cut-outs if you get off / release the safety bar so why I need flippin' great steel toecap wellies Gawd knows! stevmk2
Not entirely implausible that the mower blade could fling something at your feet, though? I've seen a couple of nasty injuries from that happening. Although just toecaps may not be enough to prevent that. You need steel wellies!!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2014, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
they've bought me steel toecap wellies already, for use with lawnmowers i'm told.

The ride-on mower and the powered walk-along mower both have automatic safety cut-outs if you get off / release the safety bar so why i need flippin' great steel toecap wellies gawd knows! Stevmk2
There are a lot of injuries caused by both ride on and push mowers. A fairly common one is pulling the mower back onto the user's feet. Wear your safety boots.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2014, 03:17 AM

Blow me, I wrote the previous message all in upper case because Steve is deaf and the message software put it all into lower case. That is not very disability friendly is it? Something for the Anti-discrimination Board to look at I feel.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2014, 09:56 AM

Steve I wonder if the HS training would come under any of this legislation http://www.actiononhearingloss.org.u...ality-act.aspx it doesn't sound at all fair to expect you to attend a course that won't benefit you as it can't benefit your employer either I would suggest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top