Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2014, 10:54 PM

new to me scam

I had 2 telephone calls from BT saying there was an SMS message for me and to press a button to hear it.

No way was I going to do that. It appears that if you do you get charged load of momey per minute for listening.

The one I had was a number the last 4/5 digits were 11111. Obvoiusly I won't give out the first bit but beware of these so called SMS calls.
No matter where or who they say they come from PUT THE PHONE DOWN
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2014, 11:06 PM

Re: new to me scam

You did the right thing realspeed.

These sorts of scams are growing, and I never respond to anything like that.

Delete, delete, delete.
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2014, 11:19 PM

Getting sick and tired of phone calls flogging new boilers. They try several times a day and often "International" calls.
We always let the answer machine take those calls.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2014, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat ->
Getting sick and tired of phone calls flogging new boilers. They try several times a day and often "International" calls.
We always let the answer machine take those calls.
That's very good advice CC.

Please don't let the answer phone answer mine though.
Will ya,
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2014, 11:26 PM

Oh I am well wise to this type of thing and with cold callers I twist things around, having done selling course with BT I know how it works.
The way to confuse is to make whatever they are selling work to your advantage.

For example the well known double glazing cold sell.

Easy response is to say " yes put your windows in my house and if they don't work or I don't like them you can put the original ones back"

Just one example but the principle works on and cold calling.

AS I said io did attend a BT selling course when we used to work in domestic as well as business premises.
On such courses the instructors have a set routine giving all the verbal usually accompanied but a presentation pack and how to use both together and even a set of answers to standard questions.

So outside normal questions as in the example I gave they have no answer and usually ends up with them suddenly putting the phone down

Vacuum sales men
leave it with me for a year to test its longlevity under normal use and if I like it I might or might not buy it

On One new housing estate we lived in we had a brand new 4 bed house
one day a double glazing salesman called asking if we were interested. We said no we wern't and he said nobody on this estate want double glazing. I can't uderstand why

WE said have you looked at they windows already installed??? the whole estate was double glazed

Idiot
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2014, 02:52 AM

I don't mind making international calls they are cheaper than local ones, at least from my mobile

9c (4.5p) a minute for calls within Australia 6c (3p) a minute for calls outside Australia; work that one out
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2014, 10:00 AM

I had someone call me the other week and said she was from my bank.
I said what do you want and she asked me to confirm my year of birth.
So I told her to get off my line and I would call the bank myself.
I did and it was the bank. But hey, I felt good that I hadn't fallen
for something that could have been a scam. 10 house points to me
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2014, 01:13 PM

I hate to burst your bubble Bowie, but they can stay on the line to intercept check up calls.

I had a call a few weeks ago, chap said that there had been suspicious activity on my account .... well as I do not have an account with said company, did not fall for it even when he offered to give me his phone number to ring him back to check that he was genuine ..... I wonder if he was hurt by my laughter ....
SimplyRobin
United Kingdom
SimplyRobin is female 

01-10-2014, 01:41 PM

That happened to my daughter recently but she said she didn't give any details out over the telephone saying that if they were from the bank then they should have those details to hand. They immediately banged down the phone!!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2014, 07:15 PM

Sometimes an sms message can be someone texting you on your home number by mistake, I've had a few which turned out to be my grandaughter. Write the number down & check with family & friends numbers if possible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top