Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2014, 07:15 PM

Electronic cigarettes

Passed a stall in the town centre today, selling EC's. A few colleagues at work have them.

I was a smoker about 30 years ago. Thank goodness I managed to stop. I still think the best way is to stop smoking cold turkey. Sorry if this offends anyone, but I know how difficult it was, but also know that I didn't try an alternative, went with the withdrawals, and as the days/weeks went on, it worked.

It's all about willpower. Okay, it was horrendous, but well worth it. I was in tears for a cigarette! Sounds pathetic, but so very true.

I just feel that smokers are being conned into spending more money on these EC's.

Just do it. Stop. If I can do it then anyone can.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2014, 07:28 PM

Re: Electronic cigarettes

Me too, alice76, I did have a couple of weeks on the patches but soon dumped them, they made my skin itch. What a great feeling when you've kicked it though!

Smokers are just swapping one addiction for another. I know someone who's been on them for 2years so not that good, are they?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2014, 08:19 PM

I was seriously contemplating going on to the electronic cigarettes but a chap who tried them was telling me in the pub that they leave an oily taste in your mouth, don't fancy that, besides they are barred in the pubs here, why bother when you have to go outside anyway, no I'll stick with the devil I know and go down with the ship.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2014, 08:26 PM

I have tried electronic cigarettes, but none match up to my Marlboro Reds.

Don't get me wrong, if I preferred the taste of them I would seriously consider switching as I am in no doubt that vapour is safer than chemical-filled smoke, but they just don't do it for me in terms of taste.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2014, 08:47 PM

I have to say again that I really did enjoy smoking, but stopped because of the health risks and because I had a bad chest infection. I really do think that it's either fags, or nothing. There no electronic inbetween. No point in spending money on an alternative you might get hooked on. The suppliers will be loving it though.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2014, 09:04 PM

They were discussing these on the radio today, and I didn't realise how much nicotine they still had in them. They also said that "long term affects" were unknown! I suppose because the things haven't been used long term yet. I reckon todays users are only the guinea pigs.
Bit late in 10 years time to say "Oops, they are harmful long term after all" aint it.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2014, 09:21 PM

That is true, at this stage nobody can be sure. Therefore, I'll stick with my "cowboy killers" - at least I KNOW the dangers of them.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2014, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by oldbugger ->
That is true, at this stage nobody can be sure. Therefore, I'll stick with my "cowboy killers" - at least I KNOW the dangers of them.

That is true OB, at least they have been tested long term, and as you say, you KNOW the dangers of them.
Have you ever wanted to stop?
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2014, 11:34 PM

I agree with everything you say Alice76. I've been stopped about five years now. It was cold turkey for me too. It's all in the mind... I just told myself I could do it and I did.

Just one thing - did you have a problem with weight gain? I gained 12 lbs and went up a dress size...
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2014, 11:44 PM

I went "cold Turkey" as well many years ago and it was not easy in the least. It took around 3 years to stop thinking about having a smoke.

I was a 30 a day man and one Christmas I had a heavy cold for several days and smoking was not even on my mind. getting over the cold I thought to myself " I have not smoked for a few days and have no ciggies anyway" so it was a daily, no hourly fight, resisting the urge to smoke. The worst time was after a meal or physical work. Sweets? I must have emptied the shop and as said put on weight.

But I did start getting my taste buds back and now loathe people who smoke around me. Not smoked now for around 40 years

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top