Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2014, 05:20 AM

Re: Electronic cigarettes

I stopped about 8 years ago after smoking for 49 years. The worst thing about stopping was that little man inside my head telling me that I NEED a smoke. Once he stopped saying that it was OK.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2014, 05:46 AM

This month is my 5 year anniversary of quitting, cold turkey, after nearly 40 years of smoking. (Alan has most of us beat I think! Well done sir!).
I hope you don't take this the wrong way Alice, but until you are finally able to do it, it's not 'just do it.' You have to be in the 'right mood/state of mind' to 'do it'. Otherwise I think smokers, me included, would have all quit long ago.
Like I said I did it cold turkey, but if takes the patch, drugs, or whatever, all the power to the person trying to quit.
And um, my husband has just started using e-ciggies to try and quit. I'll not stop him. It's the closest he has ever come to quitting.
As said, there's not enough data to say if e-ciggies are safe, but I figure its still safer than a cigarette with all the toxins in them.
He's trying, and he's got my support all the way!
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2014, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by lovemyboys ->
This month is my 5 year anniversary of quitting, cold turkey, after nearly 40 years of smoking. (Alan has most of us beat I think! Well done sir!).
I hope you don't take this the wrong way Alice, but until you are finally able to do it, it's not 'just do it.' You have to be in the 'right mood/state of mind' to 'do it'. Otherwise I think smokers, me included, would have all quit long ago.
Like I said I did it cold turkey, but if takes the patch, drugs, or whatever, all the power to the person trying to quit.
And um, my husband has just started using e-ciggies to try and quit. I'll not stop him. It's the closest he has ever come to quitting.
As said, there's not enough data to say if e-ciggies are safe, but I figure its still safer than a cigarette with all the toxins in them.
He's trying, and he's got my support all the way!
Of course I wouldn't take it the wrong way . I myself tried to stop on numerous occasions, and failed miserably. Yes, it's like dieting - you have to be in the "zone", or else it seems impossible. I have to say it was one of the best things I've ever done, but it wasn't easy. Wish I could stick to a diet as easy

I hope your husband does well with his e-cigs . If it works for you then that's what it's all about.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2014, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Smokers are just swapping one addiction for another. I know someone who's been on them for 2years so not that good, are they?
Yes....and the long term affects of these devices are not yet known.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2014, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I stopped about 8 years ago after smoking for 49 years. The worst thing about stopping was that little man inside my head telling me that I NEED a smoke. Once he stopped saying that it was OK.
I've lost count now - I think it's 14 weeks now since I gave up smoking cigarettes Alan and went over to my vaporiser.

For me it's worked and I'm quite happy now.

I started smoking @ 14, gave up half-heartedly three times but this time I've stuck to it.
After almost 50 years it's quite an achievement for me.

I'm not going into details again 'cos this has topic been done before but I still use my vaporiser at the moment but I think it'll be only a matter of time before I hardly use it at all.

I dilute down 0.6% with 0.0% nicotine "e-liquids" so I'm actually around about 0.3% nicotine, or less now as I'm finding that I prefer the zero nicotine e-liquid more now.

Years ago I got into the hookah pipes in Arab countries and I found that it cut my smoking cigarettes by 70% but I quite enjoyed puffing away on the pipe - you don't inhale a on a hookah pipe.

I enjoy my vaporiser too now but it's helping me to steer clear of cigarettes and to be honest that little demon is still there, especially when you drink alcohol!

"Go on, have a fag! You know you want one!"

That's what you get but I'm above that now. stevmk2
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2014, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That is true OB, at least they have been tested long term, and as you say, you KNOW the dangers of them.
Have you ever wanted to stop?
Never, not once. Despite my heart problems I have never wanted to quit, because nicotine addiction notwithstanding I enjoy smoking. I never say never so maybe I will one day, but at the moment I have no intentions of quitting my second most enjoyable habit - second to whisky drinking of course!
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2014, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by oldbugger ->
Never, not once. Despite my heart problems I have never wanted to quit, because nicotine addiction notwithstanding I enjoy smoking. I never say never so maybe I will one day, but at the moment I have no intentions of quitting my second most enjoyable habit - second to whisky drinking of course!
I really understand that and others can do or say whatever they like but when it comes down to it, it's a personal choice and I'm sorry if people say otherwise but oldbugger's entitled to that personal choice!

To my mind there's far too much of a dictatorial attitude in general these days.

What you want to do or how you want to live your life is entirely up to you isn't it or are we now saying that social responsibility overrides everything the individual wants?

I wasn't aware that that rule had been brought in! stevmk2
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2014, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by oldbugger ->
Despite my heart problems I have never wanted to quit, because nicotine addiction notwithstanding I enjoy smoking. I never say never so maybe I will one day, but at the moment I have no intentions of quitting my second most enjoyable habit - second to whisky drinking of course!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2014, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I really understand that and others can do or say whatever they like but when it comes down to it, it's a personal choice and I'm sorry if people say otherwise but oldbugger's entitled to that personal choice!

To my mind there's far too much of a dictatorial attitude in general these days.

What you want to do or how you want to live your life is entirely up to you isn't it or are we now saying that social responsibility overrides everything the individual wants?

I wasn't aware that that rule had been brought in! stevmk2
You're quite right Steve, live your life as you want to live it.......providing it doesn't interfere with anyone else's enjoyment of life. By the same token you are responsible for any negative consequences of that lifestyle.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2014, 05:11 PM

Vaporisers 'are' a good alternative, no smell or smoke to annoy ex smokers

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top