Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2019, 02:24 PM

Re: Seniors living alone

Originally Posted by DaveyJ ->
Thank you for your lovely reply wild blueberry which I did manage to read before it seems to have disappeared, perhaps due to an internal fault. It was much appreciated and I hope that your day is good.
Thanks Davey,
Blue x
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2019, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by MrFraggle ->
I am 65 and have only been alone since the death of my long term partner Edith last August.
Edith's son has proved to be an extremely unpleasant person since her death being very difficult with her estate which has meant a court case next month which really should not be necessary but there you are.

Practically it is not really an issue until one becomes ill which I have on two occasions this year which required a short stay in hospital. I have a cat who is wary of other people and an extraordinary fussy eater so that is a major issue for me.

I don't have many friends, one hand is all you need to count them and no family.

Once the warmer weather arrives I shall have start thinking about meeting other folks but where i have no idea. I think a thread on this later might be helpful.
I think you should start a thread of where to meet other folks like us.......I'll patricipate.....
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

31-01-2019, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
My neighbour is 92, walks with crutches, has to use a stair lift to go to bed . He's been alone for 5, or more, years.

His house was going into disrepair, he was eating Sainsbury's delivered meals mostly, he paid a gardener to try to keep the garden tidy.

Underneath all that he was fiercely independent.

I talked to him, on the doorstep, when he managed to get to the door. He looked "done for"!

However, his daughter recently visited, from somewhere right around the M25, and persuaded him, at last, to go into a care home.

He's been there about a month and his daughter called by to say that he's doing really well. He has friends again, they do quiz nights, parties, fun stuff, and he has lost weight and regained his fun personality.

I hear so many bad things about nursing homes, it is nice to hear this good one for a change....thanks
Ted.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2019, 09:03 PM

I find this really sad.

Some Japanese pensioners deliberately commit crimes, so they can go to prison. The crimes are trivial mostly, but still carry a prison sentence. Pensioners resort to this out of loneliness or sheer lack of money.

It guarantees them 3 good meals a day and they pay no bills.

..."The pensioners don't want to be a burden to their children, and feel that if they can't survive on the state pension then pretty much the only way not to be a burden is to shuffle themselves away into prison".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-47033704
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

31-01-2019, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJ ->
Thank you for your lovely reply wild blueberry which I did manage to read before it seems to have disappeared, perhaps due to an internal fault. It was much appreciated and I hope that your day is good.
What a beautiful thing to say to me DaveyJ. Seems to me, that there have been a few times I noticed, that you were really kindly. Not everyone on this forum is nice, especially the men. Some of them are down right grouchy.

Dave, you have a good day also........hopefully talk to you tomorrow.......

Bue x
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

31-01-2019, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
I find this really sad.

Some Japanese pensioners deliberately commit crimes, so they can go to prison. The crimes are trivial mostly, but still carry a prison sentence. Pensioners resort to this out of loneliness or sheer lack of money.

It guarantees them 3 good meals a day and they pay no bills.

..."The pensioners don't want to be a burden to their children, and feel that if they can't survive on the state pension then pretty much the only way not to be a burden is to shuffle themselves away into prison".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-47033704
Pesta that was an interesting article. Thanks for posting it. I always thought oriental children had to take care of their elderly parents.

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top