Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 12:20 PM

“A son is a son 'til he gets a wife, but a daughter is a daughter all her life. ”

Do you think this old saying is true? I think it is, although l did find it hard to wrench my ex husband off his umbilical cord!

My daughters and l are very close but I think, l have ‘lost’ my son to his partner and that’s fine, l don’t own him!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 12:24 PM

Re: “A son is a son 'til he gets a wife, but a daughter is a daughter all her life. ”

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Do you think this old saying is true? I think it is, although l did find it hard to wrench my ex husband off his umbilical cord!

My daughters and l are very close but I think, l have ‘lost’ my son to his partner and that’s fine, l don’t own him!
I think it is very true Art but it's not because your son doesn't want to be close. More likely that his wife doesn't want him to be close to you. No idea why some women are like that but it seems to be the norm.

When a daughter is close to her family, it's seen as cute. When a son is close to his family, he is seen as a mummy's boy.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 12:36 PM

Re: “A son is a son 'til he gets a wife, but a daughter is a daughter all her life. ”

This lovely piece of work by Kahlil Gibram was highlighted to me in a discussion about children on a Philosophy Forum. I think it sums the situation up very well.

On Children
Kahlil Gibran

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 12:41 PM

Excellent, Realist, thank you.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->

No I don't,..my son and I are very close,maybe because I was a single parent,(divorced),..he lives his life as I do mine,nothing wrong in being close to ones son!,imo...why should you lose him to his partner?,edit to add,why did you find it hard to wrench your ex husband from his mother?..why should it be like that?...my ex was very close to his mother,I never felt the need to drag him away from her.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 12:43 PM

my mother often said that to me Art

I can speak for myself in the fact I'm a daughter all my life, my mum meant the world to me as does my dad and we are very close.

I miss my Mum

My Son is still my Son but he hasn't taken a wife, I wish he would but I think he would still be close to me if he did.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
my mother often said that to me Art

I can speak for myself in the fact I'm a daughter all my life, my mum meant the world to me as does my dad and we are very close.

I miss my Mum

My Son is still my Son but he hasn't taken a wife, I wish he would but I think he would still be close to me if he did.

Mine also & he lives here with me still. My Daughter & I are very close also, even though she has a partner.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 01:09 PM

Wow some lovely posts Art.
I still have my boys at home.
We are all very close.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 01:13 PM

Can't be true as I saw more of My Son when He was married than I do since His divorce..lucky if I get a visit once in a blue moon now He's single ,foot loose, and fancy free
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I think it is very true Art but it's not because your son doesn't want to be close. More likely that his wife doesn't want him to be close to you. No idea why some women are like that but it seems to be the norm.

When a daughter is close to her family, it's seen as cute. When a son is close to his family, he is seen as a mummy's boy.
Longy, Sorry, l don’t think l have explained this very well.
My son’s partner is lovely and didn’t try to keep my son away from me at all. I think the fact they live in Australia doesn’t help.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top