Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 03:22 PM

Rubbish

Having just written a poem about rubbish, it got me thinking.
We make so much more rubbish these days.
How on earth did we manage with one small bin in the past?

We have three, no four bins now.
They charge to empty the garden waste.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 03:24 PM

Re: Rubbish

When I'm cooking, I leave the bin permanently open because I am forever throwing away packaging - drives me nuts.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
When I'm cooking, I leave the bin permanently open because I am forever throwing away packaging - drives me nuts.
Too much packaging that is the problem.
The recycle bin gets the most.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Too much packaging that is the problem.
The recycle bin gets the most.
The trouble is, a lot of packaging has cellophane which is not recyclable for some reason, so we end up with loads of that.

We have just bought one of these all singing all dancing recycling bins (because we were sick of all the containers cluttering up the kitchen). Ironically, the custom-made liners for the general waste are not recyclable and are double the price of normal black sacks. This is where a pack of normal bags and a pair of scissors come in handy. Why are half sized bags double the price I wonder?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 03:35 PM

Hi

The end of open fires, loads of stuff used to go on ours when I was a kid.

Much less packaging and we had a compost heap as well.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 03:52 PM

The trouble is, a lot of packaging has cellophane which is not recyclable for some reason, so we end up with loads of that.
I always pull the cellophane off my cardboard packaging. It comes off really easily. That way, the box can go in the recycling.

Also, I've started using any bags for rubbish......anything that comes in a plastic bag of any size gets used for rubbish, plus I got out my hoard of bags that things like sheets an pillows came in, and I use those.
Even bread bags.

It's a bit of a pain, as it can be a bit fiddly, but otherwise I'm throwing plastic bags into plastic bags, which seems daft.

Once there aren't any more plastic bags, I suppose it'll be back to the days of using a metal bin liner and having to wash it out if it gets stinky!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

27-01-2019, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
I always pull the cellophane off my cardboard packaging. It comes off really easily. That way, the box can go in the recycling.
Oh I do that too Pyxell, no I'm talking about things like packaged olives or sliced ham etc. The cellophane lid is not accepted by my recycling centre so it goes in the bin. Same with bubble wrap, polystyrene etc.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 03:59 PM

Oh I do that too Pyxell, no I'm talking about things like packaged olives or sliced ham etc. The cellophane lid is not accepted by my recycling centre so it goes in the bin. Same with bubble wrap, polystyrene etc.
Oh I see, yes, you're right.

Perhaps manufacturers will go back to glass bottles.
I'm already buying some yogurts in glass jars.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

27-01-2019, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The end of open fires, loads of stuff used to go on ours when I was a kid.

Much less packaging and we had a compost heap as well.

True Swimmy, but those fires polluted the air. My Dad had a compost heap, I remember the rats!!!!

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
Oh I see, yes, you're right.

Perhaps manufacturers will go back to glass bottles.
I'm already buying some yogurts in glass jars.
Me too Pycell. I have seen more products in glass.
I am sure my hubby told me that as kids they could return glass bottles for money?
Pyxell
South of England

27-01-2019, 06:05 PM

Beer bottles, you could.

Dunno about other bottles. Apart from milk bottles, obviously.

Each brewery had its own chain of off-licences, so you had to make sure you returned the right beer bottles to the right off-licence, otherwise you'd have to take them home again!

I think it was only about 1d or 2d a bottle, but if you had a beer drinker in the house, it could mount up.
It was certainly an incentive to return them, and if you couldn't be bothered, there would always be some kids down the street who'd take them off your hands for a bit of pocket money!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top