Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2019, 10:08 AM

Clubs & groups.

Tony & I once belonged to a walking group and for a short time the U3A but neither lasted very long.

I mentioned in the Good Morning thread that we were joining an over 60's group this afternoon & it got me wondering how many people belong to various clubs & groups?

I'd love to hear about them.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2019, 10:19 AM

Re: Clubs & groups.

I used to belong to an over 60's group too, Carol.
They had monthly meetings, and coach outings in the summer.
They also had a Christmas dinner every year with a comedian booked.

It was quite good, but I got a bit bored with the meetings in the end because some were a bit too heavy going for me.

I also belong to another one, but may drop out of that one too for the same reasons - the meetings.
They are so dreary. What on earth makes people think that older people only want to talk about ill health, death, lonliness etc? Surrely they want to be cheered up and go away feeling happier?
And the wrost of all is the 'Sing-alongs'! They were so many songs from the war time era and before, Gawd I am not that old.

I found it all a bit depressing, and it was not my idea of a fun afternoon being made to feel about 90, I am not ready for that yet!
Others enjoy it, but it wasn't for me.

I just do my exercise classes now, and find that gives me more of a 'feel-good factor' than singing old pre-war songs and talking about funeral plans.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2019, 11:23 AM

I joined a Fybromyalgia group which was depressing, left after a few meetings.
Art club was good but as I was the youngest there I ended up doing everything.
Knit and natter was fun, lots of cheerful old ladies, if I hadn't moved house I would still be going.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2019, 12:20 PM

Clubs are too ridden with petty politics and cliques for me to bother with. In an organisation like Age UK the well-meaning younger staff have this rather tedious, slightly patronising "Silver Surfer" mentality towards us that you see on the Internet. In my head I am still in my mid-twenties, and in the gym I still have my muscles and a waist 8" narrower than my chest measurement. Like Mups, I don't want to EVER go to a Sing-Along. I also don't want boring meetings and mind-numbing classes on "Self-Care" and "Staying Warm In Winter". I know how to look after myself, thanks!
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2019, 12:37 PM

The U3A were very good. They cover almost any interest you care to mention - even a real ale lovers group which Tony joined - and bird spotting too.

At first I thought we'd found what we were looking for but unfortunately they didn't seem to 'let us in' they were polite but not welcoming.

Mind you - I did almost shame myself at one of their wine tastings. Not used to a lot of lunch time drinking I had a bit too much. Luckily I phoned Tony to fetch me and I managed to escape before I was violently sick!!
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2019, 01:11 PM

Join an old farts club?...nae chance...I see enough of 'Em on 'ere
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2019, 01:17 PM

A cycling club when I was in my teens.
Like Tachyon says, too many clubs have daft rules and regulations and tend to be very cliquey, usually featuring some little big guy loving the power of being "in charge" who has 'small man syndrome' and revels in talking about all his achievements.

Look at golf or cricket or those crown green bowling clubs. I think of someone who looks like Dickie Bird telling all his boring stories. The people on those committees are often really set in their ways and their rules are set in stone.

No, not into clubs. I'd rather do my own thing.
However, enjoy your meetings Carol, I'm sure many clubs are very useful and enjoyable
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2019, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
Join an old farts club?...nae chance...I see enough of 'Em on 'ere
Lol! Same here. Funny to watch through a young person's eyes though. When I get an allotment that will be the start of the end for me
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2019, 02:46 PM

I was a member of the RSPB & the local branch. We went on lots of bird watching trips with the local group, by coach & going in our own cars. It was very enjoyable & we learnt a lot about birds. As I don't drive sadly when my OH got ill & couldn't drive we could no longer take part. Sadly he passed away 3 years ago & reluctantly I stopped my membership of the RSPB & the local group. I still bird watch in the garden & if I go anywhere. I've just sent my big garden bird watch results to the RSPB's web site..
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2019, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Lol! Same here. Funny to watch through a young person's eyes though. When I get an allotment that will be the start of the end for me
There's no hope for me then ..but really, 'allotmenting' isn't the beginning of the end. I haven't got one but some friends of ours have and I help out with the digging and earth moving on that. I see quite a few people there who I'd say who look no more than thirty-something. It's not necessarily an old person thing.

Anyway, I'm only too pleased to help out and I'm sure the exertion helps to keep the muscles in fairly good condition.

I accompany one of those friends on U3A walks. I suppose they're not too bad because I'm strolling with a mate but I'm not sure I'll keep it up because they aren't really vigorous enough for me.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top