Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 10:47 AM

I don't want a smart meter

I took against smart meters right from the start. I was immediately suspicious. We were promised that our bills would go down if we installed them. No mention that it would involve unwelcome decisions like turning down a thermostat or turning the central heating off earlier. This promise appeared in frequent advertisements. The companies were spending significant amounts of money so that their income would be reduced! This struck me as being highly unlikely. There must have been more in it for them than for me. At first, I assumed that they were doing this in order to sack the meter readers. Later, I read on the Internet that the real reason was that they could charge us more for consumption during peak times.

So, I ignored the direct approaches to accept one of these things. They also sent meter readers who tried to persuade me to get one and I kept refusing. I have now received a letter telling me that my electricity meter needs to be changed because ‘it is reaching the end of its operational life’! Frankly I don’t believe it. They are just desperate to get me on board.

The letter also has a section on frequently asked questions. One section is called ‘what happen if I do nothing.’ Here is the answer in full:

This work is important. Your electricity supplier is obliged by law to keep your meter accurate and safe. You will continue to receive reminders at regular intervals until the work is done.

I think I can live with that. I shall ignore the reminders regularly.
biffo
Norfolk UK
biffo is male  biffo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 10:57 AM

Re: I don't want a smart meter

Me too. I don't think they can force them on us?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 12:09 PM

Hi Mr Magoo there are a couple of other threads on the subject of smart meters.

I am afraid sooner or later we will all be forced into having them or risk paying more.
There was an item on the radio not long ago saying that new cheaper tariffs are being introduced by suppliers for those with smart meters only, if you don't have one you will pay a higher cost

I will be holding out to the bitter end...
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 12:24 PM

Why is everybody so against them?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 12:25 PM

Read somewhere that in Germany they are doing away with smart meters because of the problems they cause or something

People are against the mainly because they can alter the tarrifs remotely depending on power demand. So you never know how much you are paying at any particular time of the day. It is also a way of scrapping meter reading jobs.

With exising meters the amount of gas or electricity is the same when ever you use it and you can check the meter reading
They are trying to con my sister I found out last night when I rang here. They used bully tactics saying she must change to a smart meter even though her existing meter is ok. I told her to tell them to take a running jump, She believed she had to change.

This is what they are doing, bullies and thugs and threats are their weapons scaring OAPs out of their wits, it is disgusting
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Magoo ->
I took against smart meters right from the start. I was immediately suspicious. We were promised that our bills would go down if we installed them. No mention that it would involve unwelcome decisions like turning down a thermostat or turning the central heating off earlier. This promise appeared in frequent advertisements. The companies were spending significant amounts of money so that their income would be reduced! This struck me as being highly unlikely. There must have been more in it for them than for me. At first, I assumed that they were doing this in order to sack the meter readers. Later, I read on the Internet that the real reason was that they could charge us more for consumption during peak times.

So, I ignored the direct approaches to accept one of these things. They also sent meter readers who tried to persuade me to get one and I kept refusing. I have now received a letter telling me that my electricity meter needs to be changed because ‘it is reaching the end of its operational life’! Frankly I don’t believe it. They are just desperate to get me on board.

The letter also has a section on frequently asked questions. One section is called ‘what happen if I do nothing.’ Here is the answer in full:

This work is important. Your electricity supplier is obliged by law to keep your meter accurate and safe. You will continue to receive reminders at regular intervals until the work is done.

I think I can live with that. I shall ignore the reminders regularly.
I am ignoring the reminders too.

Originally Posted by biffo ->
I don't think they can either.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 12:54 PM

Me to Mr Magoo! Been doing it for nearly 3 yrs now!
Donkeyman!
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->

My thought as well

Could any one explain what is wrong with them?

I have one and when fitted they gave me a thingy which tells me over the hours how much my heating is costing me.

OMG Yesterday it was £ 2.54
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by biffo ->
They can't. It's against the law for them to pressurise you into having one of these meters.

Originally Posted by carol ->
I think there was another thread somewhere on this forum about smart meters. I seem to remember reading it when I joined.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 04:42 PM

I'm so frugal with gas and electricity, I don't think a smart meter could get my bills any lower. I don't want one either.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top