Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 04:58 PM

Re: I don't want a smart meter

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I'm so frugal with gas and electricity, I don't think a smart meter could get my bills any lower. I don't want one either.
I am exactly the same with my consumption as I know exactly what each of my electrical connections use even down to the 1.8watt LED bedside lamp we each have.
A 'big-brother' smart meter wont save me a single penny BUT it will put the supply company in the position where they can alter the charging tariff at any time of any day to suit them and not me. They can also disconnect the supply simply by instruction the meter to do so.
Apply the same with the gas meter and the supply companies will rake the profits in via timed tariff variations
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 05:07 PM

I think this objection to smart meters, water meters etc is all part of the Big Brother is watching you paranoia that many people suffer from these days.
I'm afraid changes are coming whether we like it or not. Always have, always will.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 05:10 PM

It's interesting to see that some people who worry about the big brother aspect are quite happy to post their life on social media. I think with companies like Google around, smart meters are the least of our worries.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 05:16 PM

I've got a water meter, what annoys me is seeing other people washing their cars!
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I've got a water meter, what annoys me is seeing other people washing their cars!
I have smart water meter as well saves some one knocking on my door to read it.

I just get a bill which is taken out of my bank account every 6 months.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 05:56 PM

Before I moved house a couple of years ago, a water meter was installed at my previous address against my better judgement. My bills dropped dramatically because there were just the two of us as opposed to Mum, Dad and two point five kids. Teenagers will usually spend hours in showers.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 06:03 PM

Having stayed with the same supplier for years and refusing a smart meter I changed to EON in January. I'm now being told by letter that part of the tariff I have ( one year contract) I have to have a smart meter installed .

Letter states in bright red lettering

WE HAVE A LEGAL REQUIREMENT TO CHANGE YOUR METER

Do they, can they . What happens if I accept and then change suppliers again next year
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
So you never know how much you are paying at any particular time of the day.
Actually, you have a permanent live display.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Actually, you have a permanent live display.
Yes to looked at mine and heating and electric so far to day at 5.30 is £2.88
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 07:41 PM

I think realist can answer this better, but basically, if we all had smart meters then the suppliers can alter the payments as demand increases, when everyone comes home from work then the price will go up, as people start to cook their teas and such, also when something popular on tv is on the price of gas an£ electric will go up during the breaks as everyone switches on their kettles, a forecast of prolonged freezing weather will also see the prices rise, as the demand for heating is high
But you do not HAVE to have a smart meter as yet, whatever your supplier says...

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top