Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2020, 08:12 AM

Justice gone soft

Sentence reduced on appeal by reason of youthful age, sadly the victim did not get the same consideration. No wonder others will now see this as being no deterrent at all, they can now use their young age as a reason for having a lesser sentence:

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2020...tence-reduced/

Almost unbelievable isn't it!

It's beyond my understanding – what are your comments on so-called 'justice' like this under our present legal system?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2020, 08:28 AM

Re: Justice gone soft

That is disgraceful. He is 17 - almost an adult and certainly old enough to face the consequences of his crime. His original sentence of 21 years was too short in my opinion - this just makes a mockery of the law and spits on the grave of the victim.

Is it any wonder some of our police men and women lose heart?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2020, 08:30 AM

Not feeling qualified to comment on the fairness UK justice objectively I will say on an emotional level, any reduction in penalty will seem unfair or even outrageous to a the parent of a victim. It does seem, from this distance though, that the average penalties for violent crime in the UK do seem more lenient than they are here. One example, the leader of an on line gang rape "club" here was very young when he was convicted; 19 I think. He got 55 years. He arranged meeting with young girls on line and then coordinated the attacks via phone and internet with his gang so it was extremely premeditated. None of the victims were killed but many here were calling for capital punishment for this crime. That of course will never happen but at least sentences here are realistic most of the time.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2020, 08:38 AM

in what was described as a postcode killing based on gang rivalry.

Not sure but this part of the statement may have some bearing???
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2020, 09:05 AM

After this Coronavirus I doubt we will be able to afford all these long term prison sentences, but short term sentences will teach them nothing.( the cost of 1 prisoner is around £50, 000 per person per year)

If you put a 17 year old in prison for 20 years he will learn more about how to be a criminal that doesn't get caught easily.

I would like to see them locked up for 5 years and forced to learn a trade, so they can make a living when they get out. They should then be released, but made to sign a document that says " If they commit another crime where a their activities cause loss of life , then they understand that a guilty verdict will mean a death sentence".

It is time that these young violent criminals learned that if you take a life, it could me the end of your own.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2020, 09:50 AM

I still say a life for a life . I know many are against capital punishment and I know it's been discussed many times on here . But it could or would be a deterrent surely
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2020, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I still say a life for a life . I know many are against capital punishment and I know it's been discussed many times on here . But it could or would be a deterrent surely
Deterrent? In a word no.

Our way of life based on shared values is ended. This country has become tribal and the unwanted un-mandated Multicultural experiment is responsible.

We now have tribes competing with each other and it is inevitable that there will be injuries and fatalities with fighters ready to die for their tribe.

It's a changed world.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2020, 10:12 AM

Sometimes, a simple Head butt can escalate.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2020, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Sometimes, a simple Head butt can escalate.
Sometimes a simple headbutt can solve it spitty!

Donkeyman! 👍👍
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2020, 11:10 AM

All gangs should be rounded up and sent to an uninhabited island, no TV, smartphones, or computers, and supplies dropped each week. Let them sort it out amongst themselves.
I have no sympathy either with the murdering scum, or the victims. As long as the victims are gang members and not innocent people. They are not fit to walk freely in society.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top