Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2020, 11:34 AM

Re: Mobile phone ownership

Originally Posted by Omah ->
That's a lot less than a European river cruise .....
Not half as much fun though!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2020, 11:36 AM

A mobile can be bought from a number of places including supermarkets for a whole lot than £50. When it comes to network access Giff Gaff come in with a contract free fiver a month and with O2 coverage.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2020, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Looks as if the River cruise is not going to happen due to the virus
Spend your tip money on a mobile phone then .....
Davenorave
Wales
Davenorave is male  Davenorave has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2020, 12:03 PM

If your not particular which phone you have, they can be got for very little money these days. But the modern all bells and whistles type are expensive.
You can go sim free and pay as little as £5 pm. You don't need an expensive contract.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2020, 12:04 PM

Spend your tip money on a mobile phone then .....
gratuities are built into the cost
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2020, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Davenorave ->
If your not particular which phone you have, they can be got for very little money these days. But the modern all bells and whistles type are expensive.
You can go sim free and pay as little as £5 pm. You don't need an expensive contract.
What is a sim? and why would I want to spend more on one, even only to Pay £60 a year for one
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2020, 12:07 PM

Besides the above uses, if you are expecting a delivery the supplier or delivery firm can phone you or send a text to let you know when they are expected

I have a mobile phone; I don't use it much but it is handy to have

I got a simple DORO phone from Tesco for just under £50 and the nice young lady did everything needed to make it go.
It's not a smart phone but it does all I want
It has proper buttons, not touch screen, and both the buttons & screen are a bit bigger than some

I got a Pay As You Go scheme from Tesco. I pay £10 every few weeks and often there are bonus units making that equivalent to £20
You can pay at all mobile phone top up retailers, but if you do it at Tesco you get their Bonus/Club points as well

EDIT - I've just seen Longdog's post Yes keep the thing charged
It's OK if it runs down briefly now & again, but don't leave it uncharged for a long time
I ususally just leave mine plugged in and then take it with me if I go out

Before Tesco I had a contract with Vodaphone and had a serious and prolonged row with them about their charges - their accounting is a shambles. It took months to cancel the contract
I definitely do not recommend them!

All these mobile phone suppliers are desperate to keep you on a contract, and changing to PAYG is hard work, so if you think you will only use your mobile infrequently start with PAYG and only change to a contract if you need to

If you do only use your mobile occasionally you will still need to use it at least once every week or two to keep the thing active, otherwise the number disappears into cyberspace
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2020, 12:07 PM

Knock offs no doubt at that price and £10 a month is £120 a year a real con
Buy a cheap phone and use pay as you go. You never even have to use it but you can still give the bank or whatever site it is your number. Just make sure you charge or turn on your phone regularly or the provider will take your number away.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2020, 12:13 PM

That's a lot less than a European river cruise .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2020, 12:16 PM

gratuities are built into the cost
For Viking, only on-board- they say:

https://www.vikingrivercruises.co.uk...SADEgKI-fD_BwE

From the Program Director and Hotel Manager to restaurant servers and housekeeping, our onboard staff is dedicated to serving you. Gratuities are included on board. Any additional tipping is at your discretion; should you choose to tip your local guides and drivers, we recommend tipping at the end of each tour in cash. We suggest €2 per person, per day for local guides, and €1 per person, per day for drivers. Most restaurants include service in their prices, and it’s customary to round up generously for good service.
Of course, you don't HAVE to tip .....

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top