Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2020, 07:30 PM

Re: Mobile phone ownership

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
But I don't own one, that is the point if you missed it.I can't afford to spend hundreds of pounds on something I would not use and huge monthly bills as well . I have to rely on my pension to get by on
I've got a cheap Doro phone, PAYG which I top up once or twice a year. I have it mainly for emergencies or if I'm out on my own or out with Mr Mags. I wouldn't be without it, I think it's a necessity these days.

If you can't afford to buy it yourself, why not put it on your birthday or Christmas list, maybe your wife will treat you.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2020, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Yeah, but what about the mobile phone?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2020, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I've got a cheap Doro phone, PAYG which I top up once or twice a year. I have it mainly for emergencies or if I'm out on my own or out with Mr Mags. I wouldn't be without it, I think it's a necessity these days.

If you can't afford to buy it yourself, why not put it on your birthday or Christmas list, maybe your wife will treat you.
I have a Doro too Mags with big letters and it costs me £6 a month to use .

One of the problems of living alone is people always seem to telephone when you are eating a meal or in the shower of loo, if the family want to contact me they can send a text rather than telephoning and I can reply at my convenience ...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2020, 09:02 PM

Although I have a mobile phone I can sympathise with you Realspeed. It's all well and good saying you can buy a phone for £50 and spend a fiver each month to keep it topped up, but all these little monthly expenses mount up and before you know where you are, you pension has been spoken for for the next month.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2020, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Why do firms ask for a mobile phone number such as PayPal. I don't own one so it is very hard to log in to sites like this to check statements. Far better to have a security word I think...
Many firms use two-stage security for better security. This involves a typed password but if anyone tries to change any account details (like a hacker for example, or someone who has stolen your password) a confirmatory message with a code is sent to your mobile phone. No code entry = no changes allowed.

I use this with Amazon and Steam, so any unusual activity gets me a notification message and a code to enter on the website to confirm it is me.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2020, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Sweetsue ->
I would like to point out that many places in rural areas do not have a mobile signal, so some of us need a landline!
That is a problem here too but the answer is to lobby your government to do something about it.

The Australian Government has committed $380 million to the Mobile Black Spot Program (the Program) to invest in telecommunications infrastructure to improve mobile coverage and competition across Australia.

The Program is supported by co-contributions from state and local governments, mobile network operators (Optus,Telstra and Vodafone), businesses and local communities.

https://www.communications.gov.au/wh...k-spot-program

During the recent bush fires a lot of communications was lost for unacceptably long periods and is the subject of review. Often the cause was the lack of backup power/batteries
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2020, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
That is a problem here too but the answer is to lobby your government to do something about it.
There already is a scheme, called Shared Rural Network, in the UK to improve mobile signals in poor reception areas. It seems though that the usual problem has been encountered – money and squabbling between rival companies involved.

"The £1bn Shared Rural Network (SRN) agreement was announced in October and aims to get the mobile operators working together to extend the geographic coverage of 4G to 95% of the UK by 2025.

Many rural areas have only patchy service, and some have none at all.

The government is contributing £500m towards the costs, with the other half of the bill being footed by the mobile operators."

The link below gives details of that scheme:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51372017

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top